Spin-half mass term with symmetry breaking

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lagrangian densities for a spin-half particle and a scalar particle, and how the minimum occurs at different values for each. It also explores the possibility of using field redefinitions to read off the mass term, and how this technique may not work for spin-half particles due to the anticommutativity of the spinor field. The conversation also brings up the Gross-Neveu model, which is a quantum theory of the Lagrangian with fermions and a 4-fermi term, and how it is used as a toy model for understanding the breaking of chiral symmetry in QCD. Finally, the conversation mentions the use of a scalar field, or Higgs field, to give masses
welcomeblack
I've been thinking about chapter 11 of Griffiths' Introduction to Elementary Particles. In section 11.7, he gives the Lagrangian density

[itex]\mathcal{L}=\frac{1}{2}(\partial_{\mu}\phi)(\partial^{\mu}\phi)+\frac{1}{2}\mu^{2}\phi^{2}-\frac{1}{4}\lambda^{2}\phi^{4}[/itex]

and shows that the minimum occurs at

[itex]\phi=\pm\frac{\mu}{\lambda}[/itex]

and thus that the shifted potential picks up a mass term

[itex]m=\sqrt{2}\mu[/itex]

in natural units. Now, I'm wondering if you can do the same thing with a spin-half particle. For example, if we have the spinor Lagrangian density

[itex]\mathcal{L}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\nu}\psi+\mu\bar{\psi}\psi-\frac{1}{2}(\bar{\psi}\psi)^{2}[/itex]

can we shift the spinors in such a manner that we can read off the mass term? Even the simple task of minimizing the potential is confusing. If we take the partial w.r.t. ψ, then

[itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\psi}=\mu\bar{\psi}-\lambda\bar{\psi}(\bar{\psi}\psi)[/itex]

which when set to zero gives

[itex]\bar{\psi}\psi_{min}=\frac{\mu}{\lambda}[/itex].

That's as far as I can really get without confusing myself entirely. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This doesn't work in this case, because [itex]\psi[/itex] is an anticommuting object, not an ordinary number; [itex]\bar\psi\psi[/itex] cannot take on a numerical value like [itex]\mu/\lambda[/itex].

Another aspect of this is that the sign of [itex]\mu[/itex] doesn't matter; by making the field redefinition
[tex]\psi\to \exp(i\pi\gamma_5/2)\psi[/tex]
[tex]\bar\psi\to \bar\psi\exp(i\pi\gamma_5/2)[/tex]
we get
[tex]\bar\psi\psi\to -\bar\psi\psi[/tex]
[tex]i\bar\psi\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\psi\to i\bar\psi\gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\psi[/tex]
which is equivalent to changing the sign of [itex]\mu[/itex].

welcomeblack said:
Now, I'm wondering if you can do the same thing with a spin-half particle. For example, if we have the spinor Lagrangian density

[itex]\mathcal{L}=i\bar{\psi}\gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\nu}\psi+\mu\bar{\psi}\psi-\frac{1}{2}(\bar{\psi}\psi)^{2}[/itex]

can we shift the spinors in such a manner that we can read off the mass term? Even the simple task of minimizing the potential is confusing. If we take the partial w.r.t. ψ, then

[itex]\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial\psi}=\mu\bar{\psi}-\lambda\bar{\psi}(\bar{\psi}\psi)[/itex]

which when set to zero gives

[itex]\bar{\psi}\psi_{min}=\frac{\mu}{\lambda}[/itex].

That's as far as I can really get without confusing myself entirely. Any insight would be much appreciated.

This is a very interesting question. In 4d, the quartic term is nonrenormalizable (##\lambda## has dimensions of ##[\mathrm{mass}]^{-2}##)and doesn't affect the vacuum state. In 2d, the 4-fermi term is marginal (has the same mass dimension as the kinetic term and ##\lambda## is dimensionless) and can bind fermions (if the sign is chosen appropriately). In 2d, the model with ##\mu=0## is known as the Gross-Neveu model (a detailed solution can be found here).

The study of the vacuum state in the Gross-Neveu model is different than that of the massive ##\phi^4## theory, since the symmetry breaking is due to quantum effects, whereas in the massive ##\phi^4## theory it is already present at the classical level.

The interest in studying the model with ##m=0## is that it is only in that case that the classical model has the chiral symmetry

[tex]\psi\to \exp(i\pi\gamma_5/2)\psi,~~~\bar\psi\to \bar\psi\exp(i\pi\gamma_5/2),[/tex]

that Avodyne mentions. For nonzero ##\mu##, the chiral symmetry is broken. Instead of concluding that the sign of ##\mu## doesn't matter, one should instead conclude that instead it must be the case that ##\mu=0## in order for the Lagrangian to be invariant under chiral symmetry.

Gross and Neveu studied the quantum theory of the Lagrangian with ##N## fermions ##\psi_a##:

[itex]\mathcal{L}=i\sum_a \bar{\psi}_a\gamma^{\nu}\partial_{\nu}\psi_a +\frac{g_0}{2}\left(\sum_a \bar{\psi}_a\psi_a\right)^{2}.[/itex]

The + sign of the 4-fermi term corresponds to the attractive force. They found that quantum effects cause the expectation value of

$$ \sigma = - g_0^2 \sum_a \bar{\psi}_a\psi_a$$

to take a nonzero value. Therefore, even in the absence of a mass, the vacuum state breaks the chiral symmetry (that would have taken ##\sigma \rightarrow - \sigma##).

The Gross-Neveu model is interesting because it is considered a toy model of how chiral symmetry that acts on the quarks in QCD is broken by the strong interactions in the QCD vacuum.

there is a reason why he chose the scalar field for example.It is in this way the higgs acquire a vacuum expectation value.Anyway if you want to give masses to fermions,you can generate masses via their coupling to a scalar field(higgs field so far).The coupling is the yukawa coupling between fermions and this higgs field.The coupling strength however is free parameter and determined by measured fermion mass.

1. What is a "spin-half" mass term?

A "spin-half" mass term refers to a theoretical concept in particle physics where a particle with a spin of 1/2 (such as an electron or quark) gains mass through interactions with a field. This is known as a "mass term" because it describes the mass of the particle in the equations of motion.

2. What is symmetry breaking in relation to spin-half mass terms?

Symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where the symmetry of a system or theory is broken under certain conditions. In the context of spin-half mass terms, it refers to the breaking of a symmetry known as "chiral symmetry," which relates to the symmetry of left and right-handed particles. This breaking of symmetry allows particles to gain mass through interactions with a field.

3. How does the Higgs mechanism contribute to spin-half mass terms?

The Higgs mechanism is a theoretical concept that explains how particles gain mass through interactions with a field known as the Higgs field. In the Standard Model of particle physics, this is the mechanism through which spin-half particles gain mass through symmetry breaking.

4. What are the implications of spin-half mass terms for particle physics?

The existence of spin-half mass terms through symmetry breaking is a crucial component of the Standard Model of particle physics. This provides a theoretical explanation for the masses of particles and their interactions with the Higgs field. It also has implications for the behavior of particles at high energies, such as in particle colliders.

5. Are there any experimental observations or evidence of spin-half mass terms?

Yes, there is strong experimental evidence for the existence of spin-half mass terms through symmetry breaking. The discovery of the Higgs boson in 2012 at CERN's Large Hadron Collider was a crucial confirmation of the Higgs mechanism and the role it plays in giving particles mass. Additionally, various experiments have observed the behavior of particles at high energies that support the existence of spin-half mass terms.