Spin hamiltionian with respect to certain basis

• Thread starter Heimisson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Basis Spin
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Hamiltonian for a particle with spin 1/2 and magnetic moment in a magnetic field. The Hamiltonian is found to be trivial, but there is confusion about the matrix representation and basis used. It is clarified that the basis defined by the eigenvectors of S_z is simply the usual basis of spin up and spin down, represented by the Pauli matrices.
Heimisson

Homework Statement

A particle with spin 1/2 and magnetic moment is in a magnetic field B=B_0(1,1,0). At time t=0 the particle has the spin [tex]1/2 \hbar[/tex] in the z direction.

i) Write the hamiltonian with respect to the basis that is defined by the eigenvectors of [tex]\widehat{S}_z[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\widehat{S}_z = \hbar /2
\left(
\begin{array}{ c c }
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So finding the hamiltonian is trivial:
[tex]H=-\gamma \textbf{B} \cdot \textbf{S} =
= B_0 \hbar /2
\left(
\begin{array}{ c c }
0 & 1-i \\
1+i & 0
\end{array} \right) [/tex]
if my calculations are right. But what I don't really don't understand is what I wrote in the bold font. I thought I had to find the matrix A so:

if:
[tex]B=
\left(
\begin{array}{ c c }
0 & 1-i \\
1+i & 0
\end{array} \right)[/tex]

[tex]A \widehat{S}_z = B \Rightarrow A = B \widehat{S}_z^{-1} [/tex]

but this is really just a shot in the dark I'm not really sure why I should do this.
It would be great if someone could shed some light on this I'm sort of rusty in linear algebra of finite vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to the basis defined by the eigenvectors of S_z is just the usual basis of spin up = (1,0) and spin down = (0,1), for which the spin matrices are the Pauli matrices, i.e.
S_z = (1,0)(0,-1). In general you define S_z (and analogue S_x and S_y) by S_z |spin up> = |spin up> and S_z |spin down> = - |spin down>, so your explicit matrix expression for S_z changes if you use a basis of, say, 1/sqrt(2)(up+down) = (1,0) and 1/sqrt(2)(up-down) = (0,1).
(as an exercise, you may calculate S_z in that basis)

1. What is a spin Hamiltonian with respect to a certain basis?

A spin Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator used to describe the energy levels and interactions of particles with spin, such as electrons or protons. It is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in magnetic fields. The choice of basis refers to the coordinate system used to represent the spin states of the particles.

2. How is a spin Hamiltonian related to spin operators?

The spin Hamiltonian is constructed using spin operators, which are mathematical representations of the spin states of particles. These operators can be used to calculate the energy levels and probabilities of different spin states in a given system. The spin Hamiltonian is essentially a sum of these operators, representing the total energy of the system.

3. What is the role of basis transformation in spin Hamiltonian?

Basis transformation is used to change the coordinate system of the spin states in a spin Hamiltonian. This can be useful when studying different systems or when simplifying the calculations for a particular problem. The spin Hamiltonian must be transformed accordingly to accurately represent the spin states in the new basis.

4. Can a spin Hamiltonian be used to describe any system with spin?

No, a spin Hamiltonian is only applicable to systems with spin that can be described by quantum mechanics. This includes particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. It cannot be used for systems with classical spin, such as spinning tops or planets.

5. How is a spin Hamiltonian solved in practice?

In practice, a spin Hamiltonian is solved using various mathematical techniques, such as perturbation theory or numerical methods. The solution involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the spin Hamiltonian, which correspond to the energy levels and spin states of the system. These solutions can then be used to make predictions about the behavior of the particles in the system.