Spinning Disk (circular motion)

In summary, the discussion revolves around a spinning disk with a diameter of 0.07 m and an axle running through its center. The goal is to determine the required revolutions per second for the disk to experience an acceleration of 14 g's at its outer edge. The equations used are a = (rw)^2/r and w = sqrt(a/r). The frequency is found to be 9.97 revs/sec. The speed of a point halfway between the axis of rotation and the edge of the disk is also calculated, and the period of rotation at this point is determined to be 1/frequency.
Trentonx

Homework Statement

A disk with a diameter of 0.07 m is spinning about an axle perpendicular to the disk and running through its center.
a) How many revolutions per second would it have to rotate in order that the acceleration of the outer edge of the disk be 14 g's (i.e., 14 times the gravitational acceleration g)?
b) For the frequency determined in part (a), what is the speed of a point half way between the axis of rotation and the edge of the disk?
c) At this same frequency, what is the period of rotation of this "halfway point"?

Homework Equations

a_c=v[tex]^{2}[/tex]/r
v=r [tex]\omega[/tex]
a=r [tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried substituting the angular velocity in the centripital acceleration, setting it equal to 14g
137.2=(rw)^2/r
w=44.27 rad/sec (I think), then dividing by 2pi for rev/sec.
That didn't work. So I'm stumped. our professor hasn't lectured on this at all, so I'm really lost on what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
So you used a = (rw)^2/r = rw^2
or w = sqrt(a/r) ?
r = 0.035
It works out to 62.64 rad/sec or 9.97 revs/sec for me

No, actually what I used was the diameter, not the radius. So now I have a and b, but what is a "period of rotation"? I know the speed at that point and the radius, so that's the circumference, should it be the speed divided by circumference?
V=1.09 m/s
r=.0175
C=.1099m

I was making it too complicated. Just 1 over the frequency that we found. Thanks for your help.

1. What is spinning disk or circular motion?

Spinning disk or circular motion is a type of motion where an object rotates around a fixed point, also known as the axis of rotation. This type of motion is commonly observed in objects such as wheels, tops, and planets.

2. What causes an object to experience circular motion?

An object experiences circular motion due to the presence of a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular motion and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

3. How is the speed of an object in circular motion determined?

The speed of an object in circular motion is determined by its tangential velocity, which is the velocity of the object moving along the circular path. This velocity is dependent on the radius of the circular path and the angular velocity, which is the rate of rotation around the axis of rotation.

4. What is the difference between circular motion and rotational motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving in a circular path around a fixed point, while rotational motion involves an object rotating around its own axis. In circular motion, the object's position changes, while in rotational motion, it is the orientation that changes.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the rotation of the Earth around the sun, the motion of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a top, and the movement of a car around a roundabout. The concept of circular motion is also used in sports such as figure skating and gymnastics.