Spiral path in polar coordinates problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the path of a bee in polar coordinates and how to show that the angle between the velocity and acceleration vectors remains constant. It is suggested to use the dot product and solve for the time dependence of the angle between the two vectors. The final goal is to show that cos(theta) = va/va, which should equal a constant.
Koi9
A bee goes from its hive in a spiral path given in plane polar coordinates by
r = b*ekt , θ = ct,
where b, k, c are positive constants. Show that the angle between the velocity vector and the
acceleration vector remains constant as the bee moves outward. (Hint: Find v · a/va.)

attempts.

v=r[dot]r[hat]+(r)θ[dot]θ[hat]

a=(r[double dot]-rθ[dot]^2)r[hat]+(rθ[double dot]+2r[dot]θ[dot])θ[hat]

r[prime]=bke^kt

r[double prime]= bk^(2)e^kt

θ[prime]=c

I know that v · a/va = vacosθ/va = cosθ, but I am unsure what to do with this knowledge or where to go from here,

thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if the angle between the two vectors is a constant, then the time derivative of that angle should be constant, correct?

Also, be careful. Is it correct to say that the angle between the two vectors ([itex]cos\phi[/itex]) is the same as the angle given to you ( [itex]\theta = ct[/itex]).

Last edited:
Ah I see, so I should basically show that (va)cos(theta)/va cancels out to leave cos(theta), the time derivative of which is constant, showing that my angle is constant?

Also, if the angle between my two vectors is not theta, would it be v, since that seems to point in the same direction?

EDIT: So I want to show that cosθ=va/va, and that this equals a constant, so is a constant

Last edited:
Remember what a dot product is:
[itex] \vec{r_{1}}\cdot \vec{r_{2}} = x_{1}x_{2} + y_{1}y_{2} + z_{1}z_{2} = |r_{1}||r_{2}|cos \phi[/itex]
You can either sum of the product of the components of the two vectors or multiply there magnitudes times the angle between the vectors. You can use the above equation to solve for [itex]\phi[/itex] and see if it has any time dependence. I am not convinced that the angle between the velocity and acceleration vectors is [itex] \theta = ct [/itex]. And if it were, [itex]\theta[/itex] is not constant in time.

Koi9 said:
EDIT: So I want to show that cosθ=va/va, and that this equals a constant, so is a constant

Precisely.

1. What is a spiral path in polar coordinates?

A spiral path in polar coordinates is a mathematical representation of a spiral shape on a two-dimensional plane using polar coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. It is formed by plotting points on a polar coordinate system, where the distance from the origin and the angle from a fixed reference line are used to determine the position of each point.

2. How is a spiral path in polar coordinates different from a spiral in Cartesian coordinates?

A spiral path in polar coordinates is different from a spiral in Cartesian coordinates because it uses a different coordinate system to represent the same shape. In Cartesian coordinates, a spiral is represented as a series of points connected by straight lines, while in polar coordinates, a spiral is represented as a series of points connected by curved lines.

3. What is the equation for a spiral path in polar coordinates?

The equation for a spiral path in polar coordinates is r = aθ, where r is the distance from the origin, θ is the angle from a fixed reference line, and a is a constant that determines the shape and size of the spiral. This equation is also known as the polar equation of a spiral.

4. How can a spiral path in polar coordinates be used in real-life applications?

A spiral path in polar coordinates can be used in various real-life applications, such as in designing spiral-shaped structures like staircases, ramps, and roads. It can also be used in modeling natural phenomena, such as the formation of galaxies and hurricanes, and in creating artistic designs.

5. What are some challenges in solving spiral path problems in polar coordinates?

Some challenges in solving spiral path problems in polar coordinates include understanding the polar coordinate system, converting between polar and Cartesian coordinates, and visualizing the spiral shape in polar coordinates. It may also be challenging to determine the appropriate values for the constants a and θ in the polar equation of a spiral.