Polar coordinates and radius of curvature

In summary, you are looking for help with a problem with polar coordinates, and you've tried different methods but can't seem to find the answer. You have the speed and acceleration in polar form, but you need to find the radius of curvature.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

I've got this problem on polar coordinates which says:

A particle moves along a plane trajectory on such a way that its polar coordinates are the next given functions of time:

[tex]r=0.833t^3+5t[/tex] [tex]\theta=0.3t^2[/tex]

Determine the module of the speed and acceleration vectors for this particle and its radius of curvature at the instant [tex]t=2s[/tex].

And I don't know how to solve the radius of curvature part.
For intrinsic coordinates I know that: [tex]\rho=\displaystyle\frac{v^2}{a_n}[/tex]

Where [tex]a_n[/tex] is the normal acceleration. Now how do I find the radius of curvature? do I have to take the trajectory to the intrinsic form?

For the first part I have that:
[tex]\dot r=v(t)=\dot r\vec{e_r}+r\dot \theta\vec{e_{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]v(2s)\approx{}10\hat{e_r}+20\hat{e_{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\ddot r=a(t)=(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)\vec{e_r}+(r\ddot \theta+2 \dot r \dot \theta)\vec{e_{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]a(2s)\approx{}-10\hat{e_r}+46\hat{e_{\theta}}[/tex]

From there I can get the modules, but I don't worry about that, I want to know how to find the radius of curvature at the point.

Bye there, and thanks for posting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can it be done by using the velocity vector? considering its on the same direction than the tangent acceleration, then just looking a vector perpendicular to it, and projecting the acceleration on that vector I could have the normal acceleration, which I need to find the radius of curvature.

I've seen the wolfram page, but I don't want to learn a new formula, I think it can be done with some geometry.

Thank you tim.

Last edited:
Normal acceleration in polar coordinates

Homework Statement

Well, I've already created a topic with this inquietude here: << Mentor note -- threads merged >>

But as I couldn't find the answer I'm looking for, I thought that maybe on this section I could find some help.

The thing is I believe there is a way to fin the normal acceleration in a trajectory given in polar coordinates with using some algebra. But I've been trying. I think I must use the vector of velocity, which is tangent to the trajectory, but it confuses me, cause I'm not on the Cartesian plane. So I wanted some tips or advices from someone with more experience.

I'll quote here the original problem:
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement

I've got this problem on polar coordinates which says:

A particle moves along a plane trajectory on such a way that its polar coordinates are the next given functions of time:

[tex]r=0.833t^3+5t[/tex] [tex]\theta=0.3t^2[/tex]

Determine the module of the speed and acceleration vectors for this particle and its radius of curvature at the instant [tex]t=2s[/tex].

And I don't know how to solve the radius of curvature part.
For intrinsic coordinates I know that: [tex]\rho=\displaystyle\frac{v^2}{a_n}[/tex]

Where [tex]a_n[/tex] is the normal acceleration. Now how do I find the radius of curvature? do I have to take the trajectory to the intrinsic form?

For the first part I have that:
[tex]\dot r=v(t)=\dot r\vec{e_r}+r\dot \theta\vec{e_{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]v(2s)\approx{}10\hat{e_r}+20\hat{e_{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\ddot r=a(t)=(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)\vec{e_r}+(r\ddot \theta+2 \dot r \dot \theta)\vec{e_{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]a(2s)\approx{}-10\hat{e_r}+46\hat{e_{\theta}}[/tex]

From there I can get the modules, but I don't worry about that, I want to know how to find the radius of curvature at the point.

Bye there, and thanks for posting.

I've tried making the projections, but couldn't find the way, cause I get a vector, but its in the polar form, and that confuses me. I've got the speed in the polar form, and I've found the acceleration for the point in question too. So I need to project that acceleration on the line perpendicular to the speed vector. I need some help please.

Here I made a plot of the trajectory and the versors for the different coordinate systems:
attachment.php?attachmentid=28896&stc=1&d=1286492463.png

So, I have the acceleration in terms of the red versors, and I want it with the green versors, particularly the acceleration projected over [tex]e_n[/tex]

I hope the moderators don't get angry cause I've already posted this in the other section, I really need help with this.

Bye there!

Attachments

• spiral.PNG
    spiral.PNG
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,546
Last edited by a moderator:

Telemachus said:
I hope the moderators don't get angry cause I've already posted this in the other section, I really need help with this.

What you should have done is click the "Report" button on your post in Intro Physics, and ask the Mentors to move your thread to Advanced Physics. Multiple posting is not allowed here.

I've merged the two threads for now.

Ok. Thanks, and sorry.

1. What are polar coordinates and how are they used?

Polar coordinates are a system of coordinates used to describe the position of a point in a two-dimensional plane. They consist of a distance from the origin (represented by the letter "r") and an angle from a reference line (usually the positive x-axis, represented by the Greek letter "theta"). These coordinates are useful for representing points in circular or curved systems, such as in polar graphs or in navigation.

2. How do you convert between polar coordinates and Cartesian coordinates?

To convert from polar coordinates (r, theta) to Cartesian coordinates (x, y), you can use the following formulas: x = r * cos(theta) and y = r * sin(theta). To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, theta), you can use the formulas r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and theta = arctan(y/x). These formulas are derived from the Pythagorean theorem and basic trigonometric functions.

3. What is the radius of curvature in polar coordinates?

The radius of curvature in polar coordinates is the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at a given point. It can be calculated using the formula r = (1 + (dy/dtheta)^2)^3/2 / |d^2y/dtheta^2|, where dy/dtheta and d^2y/dtheta^2 are the first and second derivatives of the curve with respect to theta. This value can be useful in determining the curvature of a curve and in finding the center of curvature.

4. How do you find the radius of curvature of a polar graph?

To find the radius of curvature of a polar graph, you can first find the equation of the curve in polar form. Then, you can use the formula r = (1 + (dy/dtheta)^2)^3/2 / |d^2y/dtheta^2| to calculate the radius of curvature at a specific point. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the curve and find the radius of curvature at various points.

5. What are some real-world applications of polar coordinates and radius of curvature?

Polar coordinates and radius of curvature are used in a variety of fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are commonly used in navigation systems, radar systems, and satellite communication systems. They are also used in analyzing and modeling circular motion, such as the motion of planets and satellites. In addition, they are useful in describing the shape and curvature of objects in nature, such as coastlines and coastlines.