Spivak Calculus: Problem 1-(iii)

In summary, I think I should do this case-wise: Case (a) if x=y then x2 = x*x=y*y=y2. Simple enough.Case (b) if x = -y then x2 = x*x=(-y)*(-y) = ...So what is left to show is that (-y)*(-y) = y*y which is where I am getting stuck.I was thinking of doing something like:(-y)(-y) = (-y)(-y)*1 = (-y)(-y) * [(-y)(-y)]*[(-y)(-y)]-1
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Prove that if x2 = y2 then x=y or x = -y

Homework Equations

The 12 Properties of numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should do this case-wise:

Case (a) if x=y then x2 = x*x=y*y=y2. Simple enough.

Case (b) if x = -y then x2 = x*x=(-y)*(-y) = ...

So what is left to show is that (-y)*(-y) = y*y which is where I am getting stuck.

I was thinking of doing something like:

(-y)(-y) = (-y)(-y)*1 = (-y)(-y) * [(-y)(-y)]*[(-y)(-y)]-1

... but I don't see this going anywhere really. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are actually doing the thing a bit backwards. If x^2=y^2 then x^2-y^2=0=(x-y)(x+y). You should be able to prove that from the 12 properties of numbers, whatever they are. You should also have if a*b=0 then a=0 or b=0. Try it that way.

Hmmm... After some searching around, it seems that my approach might not be the best. The simplest, is to use the given information:

x2 = y2

x2 - y2 = y2 - y2 = 0

so

x2 - y2 = x2 +xy - xy - y2

(x+y)*(x-y) = 0

from here it is easy enough to show that since (x+y) or (x-y) is zero, then x = y or x = -y.

Does this mean that the original way I was trying never would have panned out? I think it can still be done. I am just having trouble trying to prove that:

(-a)(-a) = aa

in a rigorous way. Though I feel like I have done this. Actually, Spivak does prove this on page 7:

(-a)*a + a*a = a*[(-a) + a] = a*0 = 0

Adding -(a*a) to both sides:

(-a)*a + a*a + -(a*a) = -(a*a) so that

(-a)*a = -(a*a)

now adding (-a)*(-a) to both sides:

(-a)*a + (-a)*(-a) = -(a*a) + (-a)*(-a)

factor:

(-a)*[(-a) + a] = -(a*a) + (-a)*(-a) or

-(a*a) + (-a)*(-a) = 0

Finally, add a*a to both sides:

a*a + -(a*a) + (-a)*(-a) = 0 + a*a

so that:

(-a)*(-a) = a*a.

yay!Edit: Hi Dick! By "backwards" do you just mean "not the way I would do it" ? Or do you mean wrongwards? Just curious. Either way, I am satisfied with the answer!

Well, what you proved using your original method is that if x=y or x=-y, then x^2 = y^2. It's TRUE, but it's the converse of what you're trying to prove.

Char. Limit said:
Well, what you proved using your original method is that if x=y or x=-y, then x^2 = y^2. It's TRUE, but it's the converse of what you're trying to prove.

What Char. Limit has pointed out is what I meant by backwards. Proving x=y and x=(-y) are solutions doesn't prove there might not be other solutions. Doing it forwards does.

Char. Limit said:

Dick said:
What Char. Limit has pointed out is what I meant by backwards. Proving x=y and x=(-y) are solutions doesn't prove there might not be other solutions.

I see. Thanks for the tips! I got a lot of mileage out of this one.

What is Spivak Calculus: Problem 1-(iii)?

Spivak Calculus: Problem 1-(iii) is a specific problem from the book "Calculus" written by Michael Spivak. It is known as one of the most challenging problems in the book and requires a strong understanding of calculus concepts.

What does the problem ask for?

The problem asks for the limit of a function as x approaches a certain value. Specifically, it asks for the limit of (x^2)sin(1/x) as x approaches 0.

Why is this problem considered difficult?

This problem is considered difficult because it requires a deep understanding of the properties and limits of trigonometric functions and how they interact with polynomial functions. It also requires the application of various calculus techniques, such as the squeeze theorem, to solve.

What is the significance of this problem?

This problem is significant because it challenges students to think critically and creatively in order to solve a complex mathematical problem. It also highlights the importance of understanding and applying fundamental calculus concepts.

What skills are needed to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, one needs a strong foundation in calculus, particularly in limits, trigonometric functions, and polynomial functions. It also requires critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and perseverance.