Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Split a Matrix into and arbitrary number of blocks

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    Hello,

i am trying to solve the following problem, but with no success. I need to find a way to split a matrix with dimensions N x M into an arbitrary number of blocks P.

Not all blocks need to have the same size, say if we have a 16 x 25 matrix and want to split it into 8 blocks, we could get six 6 x 8 submatrices, and the remaining two have one extra column.

The thing is, although some situations are easy to solve, like the aformentioned one, i am having trouble in finding a general method to split an arbitrary matrix into a arbitrary number of blocks.

Note: when i say that not all matrices are required to have the same size, i was mentioning ending at a situation like the above mentioned, where the last column of blocks had one extra column of elements.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you have any additional requirements for the blocks? There are many ways to split a matrix into blocks.

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3
    No i don't

No i don't, just the above mentioned.

5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To divide the matrix in X blocks, find numbers p,q with p*q=X and p<N, q<M. Split the rows into p parts and the columns into q parts, make blocks, done.
    Like that?

Note that this just gives a special class of blocks, where the block borders are aligned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook