Split a Matrix into and arbitrary number of blocks

• Thread starter DarkFalz
  • Start date
Hello,

i am trying to solve the following problem, but with no success. I need to find a way to split a matrix with dimensions N x M into an arbitrary number of blocks P.

Not all blocks need to have the same size, say if we have a 16 x 25 matrix and want to split it into 8 blocks, we could get six 6 x 8 submatrices, and the remaining two have one extra column.

The thing is, although some situations are easy to solve, like the aformentioned one, i am having trouble in finding a general method to split an arbitrary matrix into a arbitrary number of blocks.

Note: when i say that not all matrices are required to have the same size, i was mentioning ending at a situation like the above mentioned, where the last column of blocks had one extra column of elements.

Thanks in advance

Do you have any additional requirements for the blocks? There are many ways to split a matrix into blocks.

No i don't

No i don't, just the above mentioned.

To divide the matrix in X blocks, find numbers p,q with p*q=X and p<N, q<M. Split the rows into p parts and the columns into q parts, make blocks, done.
Like that?

Note that this just gives a special class of blocks, where the block borders are aligned.