Electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31
I am looking to use Gauss's law to find the electric field in ##1+1## dimensional spacetime:

##\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_{0}}##

Now, for a point charge in ##1+1## dimensional spacetime, the Gaussian surface is the two endpoints (a distance ##r## away from the point charge) along which the electric field points outwards. How do I account for ##d\vec{A}## of the two endpoints?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that, but I am finding it difficult to form a quantitative value for the infinitesimal area of the two points.
 
I don't exactly understand what you mean when you say that the field will have different dimensions.
 
Sorry, I didn't mean the field itself, I meant the equation. To work, ##\epsilon_0## needs different units, which means the whole equation has different units.
 
Well, ##\nabla\cdot{\vec{B}}=0## generalises to ##\partial_{\mu}B^{\mu}=0##, I suppose, which means that ##B## has inverse dimensions of the length in any spacetime.

Am I right?
 
It's generated by a changing electric field, which comes from Faraday's Law.

##\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{i}E_{i}=-\partial_{t}B_{i}## is Faraday's law in 3 dimensions.

I guess the epsilon symbol ought to have more (or less) spatial indices as the number of spatial dimensions increases (or decreases)?
 
Is this why the magnetic field cannot be generalised to more than 3 dimensions?
 
Crudely...

The electric field is "time-space part" of the [antisymmetric] field tensor, orthogonal to the observer's 4-velocity. In (n+1)-spacetime, it has n independent components. In 4+1, Ex, Ey, Ez, Ew.

The magnetic field is the remaining part... also orthogonal to the observer's 4-velocity. In (n+1)-spacetime, it has n(n-1)/2 independent components... Counting the number of strictly lower triangular space-space components. In 4+1, Bxy, Byz, Bzx, Bxw, Byw, Bzw (up to signs). The epsilon symbol or its equivalent will appear.

For n=3, the electric and magnetic field each have 3 components.