Split simple polygon into Monotone pieces

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an application in computer science that triangulates simple polygons. The first step is to transform the given polygon into monotone pieces, which involves determining the interior angles of the polygon. The problem at hand is how to calculate the interior angle between two edges, and whether it should be the interior or exterior angle of the triangle formed by these edges. The conversation also clarifies the definition of a monotone polygon and its relationship to the process of triangulating a simple polygon.
christl
Hi all!
I develop an application in computer science that shows the execution of an Algorithm that triangulates a simple polygon.

The first thing I have to do is to transform the given Polygon into monotone pieces, in order to do that I have to figure out the interior angles of the simple polygon.
I just know the coordinates of the vertices of my polygon.

Now my problem is how I should calculate the interior angle between two edges. And with interior I mean interior of the polygon. Two edges form a triangle which allows me to calculate angles easily but how do I know if I should calculate the exterior or the interior angle of that specific triangle. Is the interior angle of the triangle inside the polygon or the external angle?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"Monotone" is an adjective that applies to polynomials, not polygons. What do you mean by "monotone pieces" of a polygon?

Thanks. I hadn't seen that use of "monotone" before. However, note that this does not say "monotone pieces" of a polygon or "monotone polygons". It talks about a polygon being "monotone" with respect to a given straight line.

1. What is the definition of a "split simple polygon"?

A split simple polygon is a type of polygon that does not intersect itself and has a finite number of sides. It can be split into two or more monotone pieces, which are smaller polygons that do not intersect each other and can be connected to form the original polygon.

2. What does it mean to "split a simple polygon into monotone pieces"?

Splitting a simple polygon into monotone pieces means dividing the polygon into smaller polygons that are monotone in shape, meaning they have only one type of curvature (either convex or concave). This makes the original polygon easier to analyze and can help with certain geometric calculations.

3. What is the purpose of splitting a simple polygon into monotone pieces?

The purpose of splitting a simple polygon into monotone pieces is to simplify its shape and make it easier to work with in geometric calculations. Monotone polygons have predictable and consistent shapes, which can make certain calculations and algorithms more efficient and accurate.

4. How is a simple polygon split into monotone pieces?

There are several algorithms that can be used to split a simple polygon into monotone pieces. One common method is to first triangulate the polygon (divide it into triangles), then merge the triangles into monotone polygons. Another method is to use a sweep line algorithm, where a "line" is swept across the polygon and divides it into monotone pieces as it moves.

5. What are some practical applications of splitting a simple polygon into monotone pieces?

Splitting a simple polygon into monotone pieces has many practical applications in various fields such as computer graphics, computer-aided design, and geographic information systems. It can be used for geometric calculations, such as calculating areas and volumes, or for creating efficient algorithms for polygon operations and analyses. It can also be useful in creating 3D models and maps, as well as in computer animations and simulations.