Splitting field of irreducible polynomial

In summary, to find the splitting field of the polynomial x^3+3x^2+3x-4 over the field of complex numbers, we can use the conjugate root theorem and the fundamental theorem of algebra to determine that it can either have three real roots or one real root and two complex roots. However, it is not solvable by radicals, meaning that we cannot find a map from this polynomial to another irreducible polynomial of the same degree. Therefore, the splitting field of this polynomial is not known. Some suggest using the general formula for cubic functions or completing the cube to find the roots, but it ultimately results in finding the degree of the splitting field as Q(ω,\sqrt[3]{b}).
joeblow
I need to find the splitting field in [itex] \mathbb {C} [/itex] of [itex] x^3+3x^2+3x-4 [/itex] (over [itex] \mathbb{Q} [/itex]).

Now, I plugged this into a CAS and found that it is (probably) not solvable by radicals. I know that if I can find a map from this irreducible polynomial to another irreducible polynomial of the same degree, I can find an expression for the roots of the original polynomial by using the roots of the second (if they are solvable, that is). I cannot find such a polynomial, though.

By the conjugate root theorem in conjunction with FTA, we can have (1) one real root and two complex roots which must be conjugates of each other or (2) three real roots. In the case of (2), if one root is a radical expression, then its conjugate must also be a root. Thus, the third root cannot be a radical expression. Similarly for (1), the real root cannot be a radical expression.

Thus, I have no idea what a splitting field for this polynomial would be. Any ideas of a useful way of describing this splitting field? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're darn right it is. Why'd I forget that?

The roots of this polynomial, you can find immediately, by just a minor rewriting, then it becomes obvious what the spliting field is. It has degree 6 over Q btw, and can be described in the form Q(ω,[itex]\sqrt[3]{b}[/itex]).

to amplify Norwegien's answer, try "completing the cube".

if we can obtain all roots of f by adjoining a real cube root and a primitive complex cube root of unity, then to find the degree of the splitting field of f, it suffices to find the degree of the minimal polynomials for the (real) cube root, and the primitive cube root of unity.

that is:

[tex][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{b},\omega):\mathbb{Q}] = [\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{b},\omega):\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{b})][\mathbb{Q}(\sqrt[3]{b}):\mathbb{Q}][/tex]

1. What is a splitting field of an irreducible polynomial?

A splitting field of an irreducible polynomial is a field extension that contains all the roots of the polynomial. It is the smallest field in which the polynomial can be factored completely into linear factors.

2. Why is the concept of splitting field important?

The concept of splitting field is important because it allows us to solve polynomial equations in a systematic way. It also helps us understand the structure of roots of polynomials and their relationships with field extensions.

3. How do you find the splitting field of an irreducible polynomial?

To find the splitting field of an irreducible polynomial, you need to factor the polynomial into irreducible factors and then adjoin all the roots of the polynomial to the base field. This will result in a field extension that contains all the roots and is the smallest field in which the polynomial splits completely.

4. Can a splitting field be unique?

Yes, a splitting field can be unique up to isomorphism. This means that there may be multiple fields that are isomorphic to each other but have the same structure and contain all the roots of the polynomial.

5. What is the connection between splitting fields and field extensions?

A splitting field is a type of field extension. It is a finite field extension that is generated by adjoining all the roots of a polynomial to the base field. It is the smallest field in which the polynomial splits completely and is used to understand the structure and properties of field extensions.