Spontaneous symmetry breaking of gauge symmetries

In summary: Yes, I think the difference is that spontaneous symmetry breaking is when the vacuum state spontaneously breaks the symmetry, whereas actual symmetry breaking is when an external field is applied.
julian
Gold Member
hello all

gauge symmetries are redundencies of the description of a situation. Therefore they are not real symmetries. So in what sense does it mean to spontaneously break a gauge symmetry?

ian

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you justify that it is not a "real" symmetry?

I don't really understand this, but I've seen discussions about it.

"...the 'gauge symmetry' is not a symmetry. ...the 'gauge symmetry' can never be broken." Wen, Quantum Orders and Symmetric Spin Liquids, http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0107071

"...the true gauge is ... G* ... there is no true breakdown of this gauge symmetry here. What is broken is the global part of the symmetry, corresponding to G/G*" Nair, Quantum Field Theory p268, http://books.google.com/books?id=J4BmTXo_RkEC&printsec=frontcover#PPA268,M1

hi

It's not a real symmetry in the sense that, for example electromagnetsim can be done in terms of electric and magnetic fields with no reference to gauge transformations at all. Gauge transformations only come into it if you formulate the theory in terms of gauge potentials - there's no reason why you have to do electromagnetism this way, although it is sometimes convienient. This is what I mean by gauge symmetries being a redundency of the description - it's a fictious symmetry put in by hand.

ian

You're right that you can formulate classical E&M without ever talking about potentials, but in QM it is not so obvious how to do this: topological effects such as Aharanov-Bohm Effect and Dirac monopoles (for what they're worth) are not easy to see without reference to vector potentials. It really is these potentials that get quantized, so in a sense, they ARE the physical thing...

[I want to avoid a philosophical outcry about what it means to be "physical" - I just mean that this is the object that contains the electodynamic degrees of freedom. that's all I meant by that last statement.]

The gauge "symmetry" would be better called the gauge "redundancy" perhaps, but now you're just arguing semantics.

I'm not quite sure why you say that they are not "real symmetries" though - any time you have a symmetry it is because some degree of freedom is redundant. That's what it means to be a symmetry!

I am on the same track as bleckman...

I think it was Dirac who emphasized it is not a real symmetry but rather, a convenient way to deal with contrained systems. It's just two different point of views, ways of thinking about a problem. People like to think in terms of symmetry. If you have rotational symmetry with a mass at a constant radius from a center, it is not very intelligent to use cartesian coordinates, and gauge out the radius. But yes, you can do it. :tongue2:

julian said:
hi

there's no reason why you have to do electromagnetism this way, although it is sometimes convienient. This is what I mean by gauge symmetries being a redundency of the description - it's a fictious symmetry put in by hand.

How about; necessary law of nature! Without the gauge principle, I can not understand interactions. Can you?

regards

sam

What suggested the question was the comment from thiemann's paper

"We stress, however, that the gauge symmetries of General Relativity have been
exactly taken care of in the reduced phase space approach. We are talking here about a symmetry group and not a gauge group. To break a local gauge group is usually physically inacceptable especially in renormalisable theories where the corresponding Ward identities find their way into the renormalisation theorems. However, it may or may not be acceptable that a physical symmetry is (spontaneouly, explicitly ...) broken. For instance, the explicit breaking of the axial vector current
Ward identity in QED, also called the ABJ anomaly, is experimentally verified."

I'm thinking there is a differenece between spontaneous and actual symmetry breaking: in spontaneous symetry breaking it is the vacuum state that breaks the symmetry whereas in actual breaking of symmetry one has an addition term to the action which breaks the symmetry - e.g an external magnetic field

ian

1. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking of gauge symmetries?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking of gauge symmetries is a phenomenon in physics where a system that exhibits symmetries at the microscopic level breaks these symmetries at the macroscopic level. This means that although the underlying equations of the system are symmetric, the solutions to these equations are not. This results in the emergence of new properties and behaviors in the system.

2. What is the significance of spontaneous symmetry breaking in particle physics?

In particle physics, spontaneous symmetry breaking is a crucial concept that explains how particles acquire mass. The Higgs mechanism, which is a result of spontaneous symmetry breaking, is responsible for giving mass to elementary particles and is an essential component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking occur?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking occurs when the potential energy of a system is minimized, resulting in the system settling into a state that is not symmetric. This can happen due to fluctuations in the system or interactions with other particles, causing the system to break its symmetries and reach a lower energy state.

4. Can spontaneous symmetry breaking be observed in nature?

Yes, spontaneous symmetry breaking has been observed in various physical systems, including condensed matter systems, particle accelerators, and cosmological phenomena. The most famous example is the Higgs boson, which was discovered in 2012 and is a manifestation of spontaneous symmetry breaking in the Standard Model.

5. What are some applications of spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking has many applications in physics and other fields. In addition to explaining the origin of particle mass, it also plays a role in phase transitions, superconductivity, and the behavior of liquid crystals. It has also been used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as spintronics and quantum computing.