Spotting 2005 YU55: Instructions & Speed Info

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about observing and capturing photos or videos of the asteroid 2005 YU55 as it passes by Earth. Instructions are given for viewing the asteroid on a starmap, as well as suggestions for using a camera or telescope to capture it. There is also discussion about the asteroid's speed and location in the sky, and an explanation for why it may appear to have shadows in radar images.
Oldfart said:
Well, it's a little lumpy, but still rather spherical. There's a radar video from Goldstone, it shows YU55 rotating about an axis pretty much parallel to our line of sight, and the bottom of the image stays dark regardless of the changing view.

Just give my $1000 to charity, thanks...

2005 YU55 is most certainly not spherical. Not even close.

30asteroid-320x240.jpg

Astronomy news on Phys.org
mkarger said:

30asteroid-320x240.jpg

OK, but in the radar image taken Nov 7 it was at least roundish, I guess the view was end-on..

Oldfart said:
OK, but in the radar image taken Nov 7 it was at least roundish, I guess the view was end-on..

Yeah. It's absolutely not spherical. In fact, it's shaped somewhat like a peanut shell.

mkarger said:

30asteroid-320x240.jpg

Mkarger -- Can you give us a link to your picture of YU55? I searched but can't seem to find it anywhere. And the detail of your picture appears (to me) to be too fine for an object at its closest distance. I'm confused. Thanks.

What this thread needs is more quoted pictures of YU55. :biggrin:
mkarger said:
30asteroid-320x240.jpg

Oldfart said:
Mkarger -- Can you give us a link to your picture of YU55? I searched but can't seem to find it anywhere. And the detail of your picture appears (to me) to be too fine for an object at its closest distance. I'm confused. Thanks.

The image is the link. Just do a google search.

Here's another.

yu55-asteroid.jpg