Spring distance vs force lab question

In summary, students in a lab experiment hung springs of different tolerances and measured the displacement and force when different masses were added. They then plotted the data on a graph to find the linear best fit line. One question asked about the value of the y-intercept, which was between .5 and 1.5 for the different springs. The student and their teacher discussed that when the force is zero, the distance measurement represents the displacement of the spring with no force acting on it. The student also clarified that they measured the displacement from the initial length of the spring, which was taken while it was hanging to eliminate weight as a constant force.
proace360

Homework Statement

In our lab, we had springs of different tolerances hung off of a holder (I can't really describe it) by one end and dangled different masses on the other end. We had to put the data that we collected of displacement and force on a graph and find the linear best fit line.

On one of the analysis questions, it asked what the value of the y-intercept described and why, and our values were between .5 and 1.5 for the different strings. With a y-int, that means that when the distance is zero there is a force acting on the spring. We assumed that it was the weight force, but the teacher said that it wasn't and it was some other "thing". I don't know what that thing is and I was wondering you could help me. I understand that the slope is the k value, but what does the y-int mean?

they were like force=27.5(distance)+.819 or something like that

Homework Equations

f=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

In the wall of text

Physics news on Phys.org
Still no one can help me :(?

If no force stretched the spring, what would the distance measurement mean?

Well, the distance is on the x-axis and the force is on the y, so the question is what having no distance but still having a force means

proace360 said:
Well, the distance is on the x-axis and the force is on the y, so the question is what having no distance but still having a force means
Right. I asked you the opposite question: When the force is zero, what does the distance measurement mean?

Oh, well if the force is zero, than the distance measurement is the displacement the spring experiences with no force acting on it.

proace360 said:
Oh, well if the force is zero, than the distance measurement is the displacement the spring experiences with no force acting on it.
Well, yeah... But what does that mean?

When you measured "distance", what did you actually measure? The displacement measured from what point?

If you're still drawing a blank on my question, here's another version: If you remove the applied force on the spring, why isn't the displacement zero?

Well, I thought it was due to the the weight of the spring, but my teacher said that that was wrong. I have no clue why it wouldn't be zero any other way.

Did you take into consideration the unstretched length of the spring?

well, we took the initial measurement of the string from while it was hanging to eliminate weight as a force acting on the spring (since it would be constant). I'm confused by what you mean with unstretched length because we weren't required to take that measurement.

proace360 said:
well, we took the initial measurement of the string from while it was hanging to eliminate weight as a force acting on the spring (since it would be constant). I'm confused by what you mean with unstretched length because we weren't required to take that measurement.
When you say you measured displacement, what did you actually measure? Displacement from what? If you hung the spring without any weights on it, does that count as zero displacement? When you hung a weight, did you measure the additional displacement from the position it had when no weight was hung?

Since I don't have the details of what you actually did, I can only guess. (A diagram would help if you had one.)

I'll see if I can make one

EDIT: Here we go. What we did was measure the initial length of th spring like this, then added a weight, measured the length of the spring, and subtracted initial from the new length for the dsiplacement.

Attachments

• diagram physics.JPG
    diagram physics.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 521
Doc Al said:
When you say you measured displacement, what did you actually measure? Displacement from what? If you hung the spring without any weights on it, does that count as zero displacement? When you hung a weight, did you measure the additional displacement from the position it had when no weight was hung?

Since I don't have the details of what you actually did, I can only guess. (A diagram would help if you had one.)

Yes, with no additional weight to the spring would be zero displacement. When more weight was hung, we measured the length of the spring and subtracted the original additional-weightless length for the displacement.

Related to Spring distance vs force lab question

What is the purpose of the "Spring distance vs force lab"?

The purpose of the "Spring distance vs force lab" is to investigate the relationship between the distance a spring is stretched or compressed and the amount of force applied to it.

What materials are needed for the lab?

The materials needed for the lab include a spring, a ruler or measuring tape, weights or objects to apply force, and a platform or surface to attach the spring and weights to.

How is the data collected in the lab?

The data is collected by measuring the distance the spring is stretched or compressed for each weight added, and recording the corresponding force applied.

What is the expected outcome of the lab?

The expected outcome is a linear relationship between the spring distance and force, with a steeper slope indicating a stiffer spring and a shallower slope indicating a more flexible spring.

How can the results of the lab be applied to real-world situations?

The results of the lab can be applied to real-world situations by providing a better understanding of the relationship between distance and force, which is relevant in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.