1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem: compressed and pushed down with a velocity

1. Apr 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to come up with a problem and solve it. As of right now, I have a vertical spring with an equilibrium length of .38 m hanging. A .61 kg mass is attached to the bottom, and the new equilibrium length is 1.05 m.

If the spring is compressed .1 m upwards then pushed down with a velocity of 4.06 m/s, how would you write position as a function of time, as well as velocity and acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

Force constant: k = F/x = (mg)/x = (.61 kg * 9.81 m/s^1)/(1.05 m - .38 m) = 8.931 N/M

Period: T = 2pi(m/k)^(1/2)
    T = tpi(0.61kg/8.931 N/M)^(1/2) = 1.642 s^-1​

w = 2pif
    f = 1/T
    x(t) = Acos(wt)

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved for x(t) without any initial velocity. I came up with w = 3.826 s^-1, and an equation of x(t) = -.1cos(3.826t)
    This may be a dumb question, but would adding the initial velocity just be x(t) = Acos(wt) + vt, where v = 4.06 m/s? What about units? Would it contribute towards angular velocity? Is the -.1 the correct sign for being pushed upwards?

I feel confident taking derivatives, so velocity and acceleration I have no problem with getting. It's just the position function I'd like to clarify first.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2015 #2
    You have made a slight mistake, the general solution for the free harmonic oscillator is [itex]x(t)=Acos(wt+\phi)[/itex]. The first derivative will be the velocity v(t). From initial conditions x(0), v(0) you can determine A and [itex]\phi[/itex]. No the initial velocity v(0) doesnt affect w.

4. Apr 9, 2015 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

OK, except for that minus sign.

The correct approach is outlined by Delta2. Start with the basic equation and solve for the new amplitude and phase angle.

I would choose up as positive, making the initial position +.1. (But the initial velocity is down, and thus negative.)

5. Apr 9, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re relevant equations: that's relevant equations, not to be mixed up with things you bring up in attempt at solution.

Re period: that has the dimension of time, not of time-1

Re solution without initial velocity: define a coordinate system first. If you let the x axis point downwards and place the origin at the steady state equilibrium point (0.95 m spring length), then yes, -0.1 is the starting postion.

Living upside down is tiring. I advise strongly to let the position axis point upwards. Your choice.

Re solution without initial velocity: ##x(t) = -0.1\; \cos(\omega t)## is correct. You get the velocity as a function of time by differentiating.

Re solution with initial velocity: you go back to the general solution ##x(t) = A\; \cos(\omega t + B)## and fill in the initial conditions for ##x(0)## and ##{dx\over dt}(0)##.

Re
    You can not do this: x = vt only applies when ## a = {d^2x\over dt^2} = 0## all the time. That is definitely not the case here !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted