1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring problem using work energy theorem

1. Mar 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.90 kg block on a horizontal floor is attached to a horizontal spring that is initially compressed 0.0360 m . The spring has force constant 860 N/m . The coefficient of kinetic friction between the floor and the block is 0.35 . The block and spring are released from rest and the block slides along the floor.

What is the speed of the block when it has moved a distance of 0.0200 m from its initial position? (At this point the spring is compressed 0.0160 m)

2. Relevant equations
    I'm using the equation Work( of the nonconservative forces) = Eb - Ea where Eb equals the final kinetic energy plus the final potential energy and Ea equals the initial kinetic energy plus the initial potential energy. I'm calculating kinetic energy using (1/2)mv^2 and for potential energy (1/2)kx^2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at it:

The work done by friction should equal (mass)(gravity)(coefficient of friction)(displacement) which would equal 2.9(9.8)(0.35)(0.02)

Now for the other side of the equation:

(1/2)(m)vf^2 + (1/2)k(x2)^2 - ( (1/2)(m)vi^2 + 1/2k(x1)^2 )

So this is what I get:

2.9(9.8)(0.35)(0.02) = (1/2)(2.9)(vf)^2 + (1/2)(860)(0.016) - (1/2)(2.9)(0) - (1/2)(860)(0.036)

I punched this into wolfram and got 2. something. I know the answer is 0.414, so I must be doing something wrong. I'm just using the equation I learned in class. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2017 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the work done by friction positive or negative?

4. Mar 3, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

So the friction is adding energy to the block?

5. Mar 3, 2017 #4
    Ah so the work done by friction should be negative, right? That still doesn't give me 0.414 though. What else is wrong?

6. Mar 3, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Compare.

7. Mar 3, 2017 #6
    ah man. Even writing out the equations, I still couldn't punch in the numbers right! Thanks so much guys. I made the corrections and got the answer I was looking for!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted