Spring with weight question / Potential energy of the spring

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy of a spring when suspending different weights and using Hooke's law to calculate the spring constant. The correct equation for Hooke's law is given and it is explained that using the conservation of energy approach will not work in this scenario. Instead, the spring constant is found by gently lowering the weight until it reaches a distance of 20 cm and using Hooke's law to calculate the force.
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

The spring of a dynamo-meter grows 20cm when one suspends a 4N on weight. What is the potential energy of the spring when one suspends a weight of 12N?

Homework Equations

Ue = 1/2*k*r2
Ug= m*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

so to find k I do this step.
1/2*k*0.22 = 4*0.2
k=40N/M

Now that I have k I can find the potential energy of the spring with 12N
1/2*40*r2 =12*r
I find r to be 0.6
now I do 12*0.6 = 7.2J to fnd the potential energy of the spring.

The real answer is 3.6J but I can't figure out how to get this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you tried to set the PE of the spring equal to the work done by the weight force, but you calculated the work wrong when doing it this way. Try Hookes law to calculate k.

PhanthomJay said:
Looks like you tried to set the PE of the spring equal to the work done by the weight force, but you calculated the work wrong when doing it this way. Try Hookes law to calculate k.
I don't understand, I am already using Hookes law to calculate K.

How am I supposed to find K with only this formula W= 1/2*k*r2
I don't have K nor W and only r

masterchiefo said:
I don't understand, I am already using Hookes law to calculate K.

How am I supposed to find K with only this formula W= 1/2*k*r2
I don't have K nor W and only r
Write down Hookes law. Solve for k knowing that the spring extends 20 cm in the equilibrium position when the weight is 4 N.

PhanthomJay said:
Write down Hookes law. Solve for k knowing that the spring extends 20 cm in the equilibrium position when the weight is 4 N.
Thats Hookes law... W= 1/2*k*r2
4*0.2= 1/2*k*0.22

masterchiefo said:
Thats Hookes law... W= 1/2*k*r2
4*0.2= 1/2*k*0.22
No that is not Hookes law. The work done by a spring is the negative of its change in PE which somewhat resembles your equation, but what you want is Hookes law to make life easier, please look it up.

As PhanthomJay said, W = (1/2)kr2 is not Hooke's law. You don't want to use W = (1/2)kr2 when calculating the spring constant. (Although you will use it later when calculating the spring's potential energy.)

If you are puzzled as to why this conservation of energy approach does not work for calculating the spring constant k, I might be of help. Using the equation
mgh = (1/2)kh2
Implies the following: Initially, the weight is put on the relaxed spring, then released such that weight falls on its own accord. Eventually, the weight's velocity will momentarily drop back to zero when it falls a distance h below its initial position. At this point in time the initial energy of mgh has been transferred to the potential energy of the spring, (1/2)kh2.

But it won't stop there! The mass will then shoot back up to its initial position and oscillate back and forth like that until frictional forces slowly dampen the oscillation.

So that h that I describe above is not the h that you are looking for.

In this problem, instead of letting the mass fall on its own accord, the mass is gently lowered until it reaches a distance of 20 cm, at which point the system stays in a state of equilibrium (no oscillations). That's where you want to use Hooke's law to find the spring constant. Hooke's law describes force; not potential energy (at least not directly).

Likes PhanthomJay

1. What is the relationship between spring with weight and potential energy?

The potential energy of a spring with weight is directly proportional to the displacement of the weight from its equilibrium position. As the weight is pulled or pushed further from its resting position, the potential energy of the spring increases.

2. How is the potential energy of a spring with weight calculated?

The potential energy of a spring with weight can be calculated using the formula: PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a spring with weight?

The potential energy of a spring with weight is affected by its spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, and the displacement of the weight from its equilibrium position. The greater the spring constant and displacement, the higher the potential energy.

4. How does the potential energy of a spring with weight change when the weight is released?

When the weight is released, the potential energy of the spring is converted into kinetic energy as the weight moves back towards its equilibrium position. This process continues until the weight comes to a rest at the equilibrium position, where the potential energy is zero.

5. Can the potential energy of a spring with weight be negative?

Yes, the potential energy of a spring with weight can be negative when the weight is released and moves below the equilibrium position. This indicates that the spring is doing work to bring the weight back to its equilibrium position, and the potential energy is being converted into kinetic energy.