Square feet calculations assistance

In summary: I was just trying to be funny.In summary, Jeff was trying to say that even though he is not as smart as some of the people on the board, he knows that footage is short for feet.
riffwraith
Hi all :)

Can't find an online calculator to properly do this.

I know basic sqft - if I have a room that is 12x12, the sqftg is 144. Easy.

But...

I am retiling the shower in my bathroom. Three walls, and not the ceiling nor the floor. I need to speak sqft to the tile store. Two of the walls are 58", and one wall is 36". All are 96" hi

I would like an answer, sure, but I am hoping to also learn how this is figured. Yaknow - in case this comes up again.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
$96(2\cdot 58 + 36) = 14592 \, in^2$

$14592 \, in^2 \div 144 \, in^2/ft^2 = 101 \, \frac{1}{3} \, ft^2$

You have two 58" by 96" walls and one 36" by 98" wall. Each 58" by 96" inch wall has area (58)(96)= 5568 square inches so the two of them have area 2(5568)= 11,136 square inches. The 36" by 98" wall has area (36)(98)= 3528 square inches. That is a total of 11136+ 3528= 14664 square inches or 14664/144= 101.8 square feet. I would go up to 105 square feet to allow for errors.

(Edited thanks to skeeter.)

Last edited:
Country Boy said:
You have two 58" by 96" walls and one 36" by 98" wall. Each 58" by 96" inch wall has area (58)(96)= 5488 square inches so the two of them have area 2(5488)= 10,976 square inches. The 36" by 98" wall has area (36)(98)= 3528 square inches. That is a total of 10976+ 3528= 14504 square inches or 14504/144= 101 square feet. I would go up to 105 square feet to allow for errors.

58by96.png

36 by 98?

Two of the walls are 58", and one wall is 36". All are 96" hi

Thanks both! :)

Hi riffwraith. Please use accurate terminology in your thread titles. The use of "ftg" is ambiguous as, as far as I know, it is not standard terminology. In fact, please try to avoid abbreviations altogether. I've edited the title for you.

Greg said:
Hi riffwraith. Please use accurate terminology in your thread titles. The use of "ftg" is ambiguous as, as far as I know, it is not standard terminology/abbreviation. I've edited the title for you.

Hi

Sorry, I would have thought that people as smart as the ones on this board would have known that ftg was short for footage.

Jeff

riffwraith said:
Hi

Sorry, I would have thought that people as smart as the ones on this board would have known that ftg was short for footage.

Jeff
Actually, I've never seen it before...and not everyone here is necessarily as "smart" as you might be assuming they are. I've edited my initial post in this thread. Please review it and post accordingly, if you will. :)

riffwraith said:
Hi

Jeff
Your mistake was thinking that we were smart!

Country Boy said:
Your mistake was thinking that we were smart!

Haha!

What is the formula for calculating square feet?

The formula for calculating square feet is length x width. For example, if a room is 10 feet long and 12 feet wide, the square footage would be 120 square feet (10 x 12 = 120).

How do I convert square feet to square meters?

To convert square feet to square meters, you can use the conversion factor of 1 square meter = 10.7639 square feet. So, to convert square feet to square meters, divide the number of square feet by 10.7639.

What is the difference between square feet and square yards?

Square feet and square yards are both units of measurement for area. The main difference is their size. One square yard is equal to 9 square feet. So, if you have a measurement in square feet, you can divide it by 9 to get the equivalent measurement in square yards.

How do I calculate square footage for irregular shaped rooms?

For irregular shaped rooms, you can divide the room into smaller, regular shaped sections and calculate the square footage for each section separately. Then, add the square footage of each section together to get the total square footage for the room.

What is the best way to measure square footage for flooring?

The best way to measure square footage for flooring is to measure the length and width of the room and multiply them together. It is also recommended to add 5-10% to the total square footage to account for waste and cutting.