1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I verify calculated heat loss?

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I have calculated the expected heat loss (fabric not ventilation) of a room in a house using Q=Ʃ(UAΔT) for each building element (window, door, wall, ceiling etc) making the room. The units are Watts.

How can I measure the actual observed heat loss of the room? I am currently monitoring the internal room air temerature and the external air temerature. Shouldn't I be able to calculate the heat loss after switching the heating off and observing the rate of temerature decrease? Obviously I need the figure in Watts to compare against the calculated heat loss.

Thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yep - Pretty much how you'd do any heat loss experiment.

4. Jan 5, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply but I was hoping for an equation to plug my temperature readings into...

5. Jan 5, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You don't have a model for heat loss?

The rate of heat loss depends on the current temperature, so it's actually an exponential.
    You heat loss calculations assume a constant internal temperature - so they would correspond to the initial heat loss ... which involve curve-fitting.

You can relate a change in temperature to a change in energy right?
    Ideally you want to determine this experimentally ... use a heating element of known power to heat air in a well insulated box and measure the temperature - plot Temp vs time. OR you can use one of the many theoretical models for air ... PV=(5/2)NkT (diatomic ideal gas) to get an approximate figure (you should apply such models to your theoretical heat-loss to turn it into a change in temperature).

Of course you could verify directly - since the calculation you did was for equilibrium at a particular operating temp, you can directly measure the energy pumped into the air from the heaters. This should match the heat loss.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook