1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square lemma for Paths, Homotopy

1. Feb 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Lee's "Topological Manifolds", there is a result on page 193 called "The Square Lemma" which states that if [itex] I[/itex] denotes the unit interval in [itex] \mathbb{R}, [/itex] [itex] X [/itex] is a topological space, [itex]F\colon I\times I\to X [/itex] is continuous, and [itex] f,g,h,k [/itex] are paths defined by
    [itex] f(s)=F(s,0),\ g(s)=F(1,s),\ h(s)=F(0,s),\ k(s)=F(s,1), [/itex]
    then [itex] f\cdot g\sim h\cdot k [/itex] where [itex] \cdot [/itex] denotes path concatonation and [itex] \sim [/itex] denotes homotopy rel [itex] \{0,1\}. [/itex]

It seems to me that this is not guaranteed to be true if [itex] X [/itex] is not simply connected. Indeed if we take [itex] X=I\times I [/itex] and take [itex] F=\text{id}_{I\times I} [/itex], then I don't think that we have [itex] f\cdot g\sim h\cdot k [/itex].

Am I wrong about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's not simply connected about I x I? And why don't you think fg and hk are homotopic? You can deform them both to a path across the diagonal of the square.

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Ah. Brain malfunction on my part. For some reason I was thinking of [itex] I\times I [/itex] as the boundary of the square and not the whole square. That's sorted then. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook