Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square of modified Dirac equation

1. Nov 20, 2011 #1
    If I take a modified Dirac Eq. of the form [itex](i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -M)\psi=0[/itex] where [itex]M=m+im_5 \gamma_5[/itex], and whish to square it to get a Klein-Gordon like equation would I multiply on the left with [itex](i\gamma^\nu \partial_\nu +m+im_5\gamma_5)[/itex] or [itex](i\gamma^\nu \partial_\nu +m-im_5\gamma_5)[/itex]?
    I was under the impression that to take the square, you put a minus sign on the mass term and multiply with that expression on the left, but I am unsure if the [itex]im_5\gamma_5[/itex] term should also get the appropriate sign change, since its not the tradition mass term. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2

Bill_K

Science Advisor

I say use iγμμ + m - imγ5. This will eliminate the cross terms.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    Thanks. I was getting a little worried about the [itex]m_5 \gamma^\nu\partial_\nu\gamma_5+m_5\gamma_5 \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu[/itex] in my expression but [itex]\gamma_5[/itex] anti commutes with [itex]\gamma^\mu[/itex], so it goes away in the end. Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook