Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the total electric flux through a pyramid's slanted surfaces in a vertical electric field. The two methods mentioned are to either calculate the area of the base multiplied by the electric field and set the correct sign, or to find the area of the slanted surfaces and compute the vector normal to the surface with magnitude A. The latter method is further explained with a diagram and calculations, but an error is pointed out regarding the angles in the diagram.
Prologue

Homework Statement

A pyramid with horizontal square base, 6.00 m on each side, and a height of 4.00 m is placed in a vertical electric field of 52.0 N/C. Calculate the total electric flux through the pyramid's slanted surfaces.

Homework Equations

Electric Flux = E dot dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I realize there is an easy way to do it, calculate the area of the base * E field and then set a correct sign, got that.

Now, I should be able to calculate this the harder but just as appropriate way. Find the area of the slanted surfaces, find the vector dA by finding the normal angle to the surface compared to the E-field. Then compute cos (theta) * A * E * 4, the 4 is because there are 4 slanted surfaces total. This is where I go crazy apparently.

Find the area of the slanted surface:

A = 0.5 * base * height (lateral surface height, not pyramid height)

Base = 6.00 m

Make a right triangle from the center of the base out perpendicular to the side of the square base, this leg has length 3.00 m. Then start at the center of the square base and make the other leg go up to the top point vertice, this has length 4.00 m.

You have a 3-4-5 triangle, so the lateral height is 5.00 m

A = 0.5 * 6.00 m * 5.00 m = 15.0 m^2

Now make a vector normal to that triangular lateral surface with magnitude A.

This vector has an angle (theta) with respect to the E field. We find that angle by noticing that a 3-4-5 triangle has angles of 60 degrees at the 3-5 junction and 30 at the 4-5 junction. We want the 3-5 junction so (theta) = 60 degrees.

Computing:

4*E dot dA = 4* EA cos (theta) = 4* EA cos 60 = 4* EA * 0.5 = 2* E * 15 m^2 = E * 30 m^2

Easy Method: -(E dot dA) = -E -(area of base) cos (0)= E * (area of base) = E * 36 m^2

I'm stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe a picture will help.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Mathematical_Pyramid.svg/480px-Mathematical_Pyramid.svg.png

In this picture, the a = the h (that I designated as the height of the triangular face).

Last edited by a moderator:
Prologue said:
This vector has an angle (theta) with respect to the E field. We find that angle by noticing that a 3-4-5 triangle has angles of 60 degrees at the 3-5 junction and 30 at the 4-5 junction. We want the 3-5 junction so (theta) = 60 degrees.

I didn't read all that, but this part's in error. The angles aren't 30 and 60.

Phrak said:
I didn't read all that, but this part's in error. The angles aren't 30 and 60.

Wow rote fails me again, thanks for pointing it out.

What is Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble?

Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble is a mathematical problem that involves using Gauss's Law to calculate the electric field at different points on a square pyramid structure.

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the charge enclosed by a closed surface.

How is Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble solved?

To solve the problem, one must first calculate the charge enclosed by the pyramid's surface. Then, the electric field at different points on the pyramid can be determined using Gauss's Law.

What are the applications of Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble?

Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble has applications in understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex geometric structures, which can be useful in fields such as engineering and physics.

Are there any challenges in solving Square Pyramid Gauss's Law Trouble?

Yes, there can be challenges in calculating the charge enclosed by the pyramid's surface and in setting up the appropriate equations to solve for the electric field at different points on the pyramid.