Spherical Shell using Gauss' Law

In summary: I fixed it (I think).In summary, the problem involves finding the y-component of the electric field at a point located at (x,y) = (0,-5 cm) on a spherical shell insulator with inner radius a = 4 cm, outer radius b = 6 cm, and total charge Q = +9 C. The charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume of the insulator. Using the equation Φnet = Qenclosed/∈0 = E × ∫surface dA, the charge density ρ is found and used to calculate Qenclosed. However, the volume of the sphere used in the calculation is incorrect, leading to an incorrect answer. The correct expression for the volume of a sphere
kgleeso

Homework Statement

An insulator is in the shape of a spherical shell. The insulator is defined by an inner radius a = 4 cm and an outer radius b = 6 cm and carries a total charge of Q = + 9
mu.gif
C (1
mu.gif
C = 10-6 C). You may assume that the charge is distributed uniformly throughout the volume of the insulator.

What is Ey, the y-component of the electric field at point P which is located at (x,y) = (0, -5 cm)?

Homework Equations

Φnet = Qenclosed / ∈0 = E × ∫surface dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the charge density ρ:
Total charge 9e-6 C / ( 4/3 π (0.062 - 0.042)) = ρ

Then, with my Gaussian surface a sphere with radius 5 cm, I found Qenclosed
Qenclosed = ρV = ρ * 4/3 π (0.052 - 0.042)

I know that
Φnet = Qenclosed / ∈0 = E × ∫surface dA
which I can rearrange such that
E (this is what I need to find - the electric field on the surface) = Qenclosed / (ε0 * ∫surface dA)
And since ∫surface dA = 4 π r2
I can find E:
E = 1/4πε0 * Qenclosed / r2 = 1/4πε0 * 4.05e-6 / 0.052 = 14563800

This isn't correct, though. Where did I go wrong? I think it is in those last few equations - do I have the wrong area?

The units do work out: k has units N*m2/C2, Qenc has units C, and r2 is in m2, which works out to N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello! Welcome to PF!

Your expression for the volume of a sphere is not correct. The power of r is not right.

Otherwise, your method looks good to me :smile:

Likes kgleeso
Oops! Thank you.

What is a spherical shell?

A spherical shell is a three-dimensional object with a curved surface that forms a hollow sphere. It has the same center point as a sphere, but it has no volume, only a surface area.

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental principle in electrostatics that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. It states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss' Law used to calculate the electric field of a spherical shell?

To calculate the electric field of a spherical shell using Gauss' Law, we first draw a Gaussian surface in the shape of a sphere that encloses the shell. Then, we use Gauss' Law to equate the electric flux through this surface to the charge enclosed by it. Finally, we solve for the electric field by dividing the charge by the surface area of the Gaussian sphere.

What is the electric field inside and outside of a uniformly charged spherical shell?

Inside a uniformly charged spherical shell, the electric field is zero. This is because the electric field vectors from each point on the shell cancel out at the center due to symmetry. Outside the shell, the electric field is equivalent to that of a point charge located at the center of the shell.

Does Gauss' Law apply to all shapes and sizes of charged objects?

Yes, Gauss' Law applies to all shapes and sizes of charged objects, as long as the charge distribution is known and the electric field is symmetric. It is a powerful tool in electrostatics and can be used to calculate the electric field of complex systems by choosing an appropriate Gaussian surface.