Square shape wave packet spreading

In summary: The two representations of the wavefunction in momentum space and in coordinate space are not equivalent. In momentum space, the wavefunction is continuous, but in coordinate space, it is not.
youngurlee
for a 1D free particle with initial wave function [itex]\phi(x')[/itex] square shaped(e.g. [itex]\phi(x')=1,x'\in [a,b][/itex],otherwise it vanishes),
my question is: how does it evolve with time [itex]t[/itex]?

if we deal with it in [itex]P[/itex] basis, it is easily solved, using the propagator [itex]U(t)=∫|p'><p'|e^{-\frac{ip'^2 t}{2m\hbar}}dp'[/itex];

but if we directly solve SE in [itex]X[/itex] basis, where [itex]P[/itex] must be written as [itex]-i\frac{∂}{∂x'}[/itex], the initial wavefunction is not continous, so the equation becomes improper at the ends of the interval[itex][a,b][/itex],

so why dose the SE equation seems so distinct in these 2 representations? what goes wrong in [itex]X[/itex] representation?

Physics news on Phys.org
my question comes thus:

suppose we set up a device to detect a particle, it can detect the particle when the particle occur with in the region [itex][a,b][/itex],
so when the device really detected the particle, the wave function of the particle must collaspe to one vanishes without the region, in a special case, to a square shaped one.

I want to know its latter evolution, but I got confused when I tried to solve the SE directly in the Schrodinger representation .

Thanks for any tip.

Last edited:
You can simply use the solution in momentum space and transform it to position space. That's also nicely done numerically if you can't find an analytic expression. In fact you have

[tex]\psi(t,x)=\langle x|\psi(t) \rangle=\int \mathrm{d} p \langle x | p \rangle \langle p|\psi> = \int \mathrm{d} p \frac{\exp(\mathrm{i} p x)}{\sqrt{2 \pi}} \tilde{\psi}(t,p).[/tex]

Now you have

[tex]\tilde{\psi}(t,p)=\langle p |\exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{p}^2/(2m)] \psi(t=0) \rangle = \exp[-\mathrm{i} p^2/(2m)] \tilde{\psi}_0(p).[/tex]

The wave function at [itex]t=0[/itex] in the momentum-space representation is of course

[tex]\tilde{\psi}_0(p)=\int \mathrm{d} x \frac{\exp(-\mathrm{i} p x)}{(2 \pi)^{1/2}} \psi_0(x).[/tex]

Now you have just to plug everything together.

vanhees71, thank you for your reply.

Your method is exactly what I mean by solving it using the propagator [itex]U(t)[/itex] in terms of [itex]P[/itex]'s eigenbras and eigenkets.

What I wonder is why can't I solve it in coordinate space.

For example, after infinitesimal interval [itex]\Delta t[/itex], by [itex]-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\psi\rangle=H|\psi\rangle[/itex], we have
[itex]\Delta|\psi\rangle=\frac{\Delta t}{i\hbar}H|\psi\rangle[/itex].

if we work in [itex]P[/itex] basis, that's no problem, since then
[itex]\Delta\psi(p)=\frac{p^2\Delta t}{i 2m\hbar}\psi(p)[/itex], and [itex]\psi(p)[/itex] behaves very well.

however, if we work in [itex]X[/itex] basis,
[itex]\Delta\psi(x)=i\hbar\Delta t\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}\psi(x)[/itex], but look at how [itex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial t^2}\psi(x)[/itex] behaves here, it just becomes improper.

with this perspective, how could these two methods lead to the same result?

What is a square shape wave packet?

A square shape wave packet is a type of wave that is characterized by a steep rise in amplitude followed by a flat top and then a steep decline. It is commonly used in physics to describe the motion of particles or waves.

How does a square shape wave packet spread?

A square shape wave packet spreads due to a phenomenon known as dispersion, where different frequencies within the wave travel at different speeds. This causes the wave to spread out over time, resulting in a wider and flatter shape.

What factors affect the spreading of a square shape wave packet?

The spreading of a square shape wave packet can be affected by several factors, including the initial width and height of the wave, the medium through which it is traveling, and any external forces acting upon it.

What is the mathematical equation for calculating the spreading of a square shape wave packet?

The mathematical equation for calculating the spreading of a square shape wave packet is called the Schrödinger equation. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account the initial conditions, medium, and any external forces to determine the spread of the wave over time.

How is the spreading of a square shape wave packet observed in real-world scenarios?

The spreading of a square shape wave packet can be observed in various physical systems, such as water waves, sound waves, and even quantum particles. In these scenarios, the wave packet will gradually spread out over time, resulting in a wider and flatter shape.