Squaring both sides of an equation?

• B
  • Thread starter bobyo
  • Start date
I have fixed it.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of simplifying an equation involving a square root by squaring both sides. However, it is noted that moving one term to the other side before squaring may lead to an incorrect solution. It is also mentioned that it is important to consider the possible ranges of the variables involved in the equation.
bobyo
If I wanted to simplify an equation, say of the form [tex]\sqrt{A} + B = 0[/tex] to get rid of the square root, is it correct to square as is? If so, why would it then be wrong to move one term to the other side before squaring?

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prior to beginning, you must be aware of the possible ranges of A and B.
I believe this is what you missed.
A>0 or A=0
I will assume that B is the component of the set of the entire negative real number.

If you have learned about how
(X+Y)^2 is developed,

X^2+2XY+Y^2,

you will see that the linear terms of X and Y still remain in the equation.

Now let's substitute A^(1/2) with P, and B with Q. In order to get rid of square root, every degree of P should be the multiple of 2, or 0.

P + Q = 0

If you square both sides of the equation without any transposition, that will be

P^2+2PQ+Q^2=0

and you will notice that still there is a linear term of P.

If you just want to simplify the original equation,

A=B^2 (A>0 or A=0, B<0 or B=0)

may be accurate.

Last edited:
What makes you think that would be wrong?

B must be 0 or a negative number. If he squared with one term moved to other side, he could have got a positive value.

Last edited:
bobyo said:
If I wanted to simplify an equation, say of the form [tex]\sqrt{A} + B = 0[/teAx] to get rid of the square root, is it correct to square as is? If so, why would it then be wrong to move one term to the other side before squaring?

Thanks

It depends what you want to do. Suppose, for example, ##B = -3##, then your equation becomes:

##\sqrt{A} = -B##

##A = B^2 = 9##

Whereas, squaring the original equation doesn't get you very far:

##A -6 \sqrt{A}+ 9 = 0##

Which doesn't really help.

Haynes Kwon said:
Prior to beginning, you must be aware of the possible ranges of A and B.
I believe this is what you missed.
A>0 or A=0
I will assume that B is the component of the set of the entire negative real number.

If you have learned about how
(X+Y)^2 is developed,

X^2+2XY+Y^2,

you will see that the linear terms of X and Y still remain in the equation.

Now let''s substitute A^(1/2) with P, and B with Q. In order to get rid of square root, every degree of P should be the multiple of 2, or 0.

P + Q = 0

If you square the equation without any transposition, that will be

P^2+2PQ+Q^2
If you "square an equation" (really, square both sides of an equation), you should end up with an equation.
What you have above is missing "= 0".
Haynes Kwon said:
and you will notice that still there is a linear term of P.

If you just want to simplify the original equation,

A=B^2 (A>0 or A=0, B<0 or B=0)

may be accurate.

Mark44 said:
If you "square an equation" (really, square both sides of an equation), you should end up with an equation.
What you have above is missing "= 0".

Thank you. My bad.

1. What does it mean to square both sides of an equation?

Squaring both sides of an equation means to raise both sides of the equation to the power of two. This is done to eliminate any square roots in the equation and make it easier to solve.

2. Why is it necessary to square both sides of an equation?

Squaring both sides of an equation is necessary when solving equations that involve square roots. This allows us to isolate the variable and find its value.

3. Can I square just one side of an equation?

No, it is important to square both sides of the equation to maintain balance. If you only square one side, the equation will no longer be equivalent and you will not get the correct solution.

4. Are there any limitations to squaring both sides of an equation?

Yes, squaring both sides can introduce extraneous solutions. This means that some solutions may satisfy the squared equation, but not the original equation. It is important to check for extraneous solutions when solving equations.

5. Can I square any type of equation?

No, squaring both sides is most commonly used for equations involving square roots. It is not necessary or applicable to every type of equation.