SRH and radiative recombination

In summary, SRH (Shockley-Read-Hall) recombination is a process in which minority carriers in semiconductors recombine with majority carriers, competing with radiative recombination. Temperature affects SRH and radiative recombination by increasing the rate of SRH recombination, leading to a decrease in efficiency. There is a difference between direct and indirect radiative recombination, with the latter involving additional phonons to conserve energy. The bandgap of a semiconductor also plays a role, as a larger bandgap can result in a lower rate of SRH recombination and a higher radiative recombination efficiency. Understanding these processes is crucial in the development and optimization of semiconductor devices, such as solar cells and LEDs, and can
Pete99
Hi,

I have read in different references that trap assisted SRH recombination is non radiative and gives the energy to phonons.

However, I have not been able to understand why is not possible to generate photons in this case. I mean, can SRH recombination give the energy to photons? What determines in this case if photons or phonons are emmited?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any idea?

I have the same question!

I seem to remember that GaP doped with N can emit green light, is this an example giving the energy to photons?

1. What is SRH and how does it affect radiative recombination?

SRH stands for Shockley-Read-Hall recombination, which is a process where minority carriers (electrons or holes) recombine with majority carriers in semiconductors. This affects radiative recombination by competing with it, as SRH recombination can reduce the number of carriers available for radiative recombination.

2. How does temperature affect SRH and radiative recombination?

As temperature increases, the rate of SRH recombination also increases due to an increase in the number of available energy states for carriers to recombine in semiconductors. This can lead to a decrease in radiative recombination efficiency.

3. What is the difference between direct and indirect radiative recombination?

Direct radiative recombination occurs when an electron and hole recombine and emit a photon with the same energy as the bandgap of the semiconductor. Indirect radiative recombination occurs when the emitted photon has less energy than the bandgap, and therefore, additional phonons must be involved to conserve energy.

4. How does the bandgap of a semiconductor affect SRH and radiative recombination?

A larger bandgap generally leads to a lower rate of SRH recombination, as there are fewer available energy states for carriers to recombine. This can result in a higher radiative recombination efficiency. On the other hand, a smaller bandgap can lead to higher rates of SRH recombination and lower radiative recombination efficiency.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding SRH and radiative recombination?

Understanding these processes is crucial in the development and optimization of semiconductor devices, such as solar cells and LEDs. By controlling the rates of SRH and radiative recombination, researchers can improve the efficiency and performance of these devices. Additionally, knowledge of these processes can also aid in the diagnosis and troubleshooting of device failures.