SSSI (structure-soil-structure interaction)

In summary: With piles, you can use the theory of shear strength to calculate ultimate failure loads. With shallow foundations, shear strength is not a concern and the loads are calculated using the load-carrying capacity of the soil and the foundation. In summary, a good software to use to analyse this project is SAP2000.
ocky
Hi all,

I am doing a masters in SSSI and I am a mechanical engineer so a lot of this stuff is all new to me (manly civil engineering based masters) so I have a question for the pros. (I will also do some analysis on SSI (soil-structure interaction)

What is a good software to use to analyse this project.

At the momment I am looking into:

-ABAQUS
-open sees
-SAP2000
-FLUSH

cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used SAP for a silo collapse investigation once and it worked well.

It was basically a huge water tank elevated with a bunch of steel beams, and was designed to not collapse from the type of hit it took.

I think it modeled what happened very well, and was I was able to find the source of the critical failure (one bad weld).

ok thanks mate have you used any of the other programmes I have posted? So far I have had a look at abaqus ( which looks pretty good very similar to ansys but with a good civil and geotech part as well ) and I have had a look at OpenSees which looks like it would be good once you learn the ins and outs of the coding (open source coding ). was your hit Earth moving or similar?

For 30 yrs l looked for a good way to model dirt. Never found it. Civil engineers never let me put more than 2000 psf into the ground, but I've gone as high as 80,000. So I think of dirt as a very thick hydraulic fluid that I must constrain to support my equipment like a hydraulic cylinder. Anyone else ever do anything like that?

Here is a site with many seismic SSI apps

http://nisee.berkeley.edu/elibrary/list?a=1056&start=1

However, since you're mechanical, I'm guessing that could be your forcing function. I'll need to dig more for low strain SSI, as it is somewhat different.

DYNA5 comes to mind, also GTstrudl is used, I've used SAP2000.

Also it matters if your on piles or using shallow foundations.

What is SSSI (structure-soil-structure interaction)?

SSSI is the interaction between two or more structures that are connected by soil. It refers to the dynamic response of structures due to the transfer of forces through the soil.

Why is SSSI important in engineering?

Understanding SSSI is important in engineering because it affects the overall stability and safety of structures. Neglecting SSSI can lead to structural failures and damage, especially in areas prone to earthquakes or other natural disasters.

What are some factors that affect SSSI?

The factors that affect SSSI include the type and properties of soil, the geometry and stiffness of the structures, and the type of loading or forces applied to the structures.

How is SSSI analyzed and modeled?

SSSI can be analyzed and modeled using various methods such as finite element analysis, boundary element method, or simplified analytical approaches. These methods take into account the soil-structure interaction effects to accurately predict the behavior and response of the structures.

How can SSSI be mitigated or controlled?

SSSI can be mitigated or controlled by proper design and construction techniques, such as using appropriate foundation designs, considering soil-structure interaction effects in structural analysis, and implementing measures to minimize differential settlements between adjacent structures.