Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SSSI (structure-soil-structure interaction)

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I am doing a masters in SSSI and I am a mechanical engineer so a lot of this stuff is all new to me (manly civil engineering based masters) so I have a question for the pros. (I will also do some analysis on SSI (soil-structure interaction)

What is a good software to use to analyse this project.

At the momment I am looking into:

-ABAQUS
    -open sees
    -SAP2000
    -FLUSH

cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2012 #2
    I used SAP for a silo collapse investigation once and it worked well.

It was basically a huge water tank elevated with a bunch of steel beams, and was designed to not collapse from the type of hit it took.

I think it modeled what happened very well, and was I was able to find the source of the critical failure (one bad weld).

4. Jan 23, 2012 #3
    ok thanks mate have you used any of the other programmes I have posted? So far I have had a look at abaqus ( which looks pretty good very similar to ansys but with a good civil and geotech part as well ) and I have had a look at OpenSees which looks like it would be good once you learn the ins and outs of the coding (open source coding ). was your hit earth moving or similar?

5. Feb 3, 2012 #4
    For 30 yrs l looked for a good way to model dirt. Never found it. Civil engineers never let me put more than 2000 psf into the ground, but I've gone as high as 80,000. So I think of dirt as a very thick hydraulic fluid that I must constrain to support my equipment like a hydraulic cylinder. Anyone else ever do anything like that?

6. Mar 18, 2012 #5
    Here is a site with many seismic SSI apps

http://nisee.berkeley.edu/elibrary/list?a=1056&start=1

However, since you're mechanical, I'm guessing that could be your forcing function. I'll need to dig more for low strain SSI, as it is somewhat different.

DYNA5 comes to mind, also GTstrudl is used, I've used SAP2000.

Also it matters if your on piles or using shallow foundations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook