Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability against small perturbation.

1. Jun 12, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am reading the book, The Quantum Theory of Fields II by Weinberg.
    In page 426 of this book (about soliton, domain wall stuffs), we have Eq(23.1.5) as the solution that minimizes Eq(23.1.3).

The paragraph below Eq(23.1.5), the author said "The advantage of the derivation based on the formula (23.1.3) is that it shows immediately that the solution (23.1.5) is stable against small perturbations that maintain the flatness of the boundary. ..... By adding a term [itex] \frac{1}{2} (\frac{\textrm{d}\phi}{\textrm{d}y})^2 +\frac{1}{2} (\frac{\textrm{d}\phi}{\textrm{d}z})^2[/itex] in the integrand of Eq (23.1.2), we can see that this solution is also stable against any perturbation ....."

Here, I don't understand why they have to be stable against small perturbation in both cases. I guess I don't have any good idea about the stability of differential equation or action. Could you guys explain how we can show they are stable explicitly?

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2014 #2
    I don't have Weinberg. Put up the equations.

4. Jun 12, 2014 #3
    I am now at home, so I don't have Weinberg right now.
    I will post the relevant equations as soon as I am back to the school.

Thank you for your interest.

QUOTE=rigetFrog;4772632]I don't have Weinberg. Put up the equations.[/QUOTE]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook