Standard action of S¹ on Sⁿ

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Standard
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
64 replies · 13K views
That is very interesting and I have not grasped it fully yet. I wonder if I misunderstood something. Rather than the choice of multiplication by e^it or e^-it, it seems that Artin's action does both, i.e. infrareds action has two multiplications, and Artin seems to use e^it as one multiplication but e^-it as then other. So is it a mixture of the two cases you discuss?

I.e. Artin's apparently sends (a,b) to (a.e^it, be^-it). I assume this just by multiplying the matrices he gives on pages 272 and 275, in equations (2.4) and (2.13). I must be misunderstanding something.

well i just noticed it depends on whether i let my matrix act from the left or fom the right! one sends (a,b) to (a.e^it, b.e^it) and the other gives what I wrote 3 lines above. Obviously I need to do some calculations and stop just speculating.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathwonk said:
@WWGD: I added an explicit link now, in post #41, that (may) take a lot less time than reading the book, or not. The point is if you know the (total) chern classes of projective space, then you can compute the chern classes of hypersurfaces in projective space too.

If you have the inclination, you might like my notes on RRT there. I have enjoyed studying it all my career and tried to lay out all I learned there, admittedly not everything there is. Well honestly I only studied the curve case mostly all those years, but did enjoy working up these notes on the surface case and 3-fold case.
Seems link is dead, leads to a forbidden error 403
1664320216389.png
 
my pleasure. it seems our webpages get rearranged occasionally, i.e. every ten years or so.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD