Standard enthalpy of formation of C(g) from graphite

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 7K views
mcfaker
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hi,

The standard enthalpy of formation of carbon gas or C(g) is the enthalpy change for the formation of 1 mole of carbon gas from its elements in their reference form which for carbon (I believe) is C(graphite).

Now I find the following standard enthalpy of formation for carbon gas / C(g) : 716.7 kJ

So now the formation reaction(or thermochemical equatation) is:

C(graphite) → C(g) ΔH= 716.7 kJ

Am I right? So if we add 716,7kJ to 1 mole of graphite ( note: not diamond) we will get carbon gas? Now carbon gas only excists at a temperature of 4827.0 °C so that means if we add 716.7 kJ it will increase the temperature up to 4827.0 °C?


Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org