Standard for the distance between Elec. & Data connections / cables

In summary, the conversation discusses the standards and regulations for the distance between electrical and data cables and connectors in equipment. While there is some information on cabling in buildings and medical equipment, there is nothing on the actual equipment. The recommendation is to keep data cables at least a foot away from power carrying cables, and to have them only cross at 90 degrees for noise immunity. It is advised to check with local power and telecommunications authorities for specific regulations in your country.
happy.smiler
Hi Guys,

I am trying to find out if there are any standards / regulations (world wide) for the distance between Electrical and Data cables and or connectors in electrical equipment.

There is some info on medical equip. and cabling in buildings but nothing on the actual equipment. Its logical to try and place them far a apart as possible, but I can't find any info on it!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I always made sure that data cables and power carrying cables were in separate conduits.

If I recall correctly, the recommendation in the abridged CEC (Canadian Electrical Code) is to keep datacomm (regular Cat-5, Cat-3 telecom, etc.) at least a foot away from standard 15/20A cables when they must run in parallel for more than 3 or 4 feet, and preferentially that they only cross at 90 degrees There is some noise immunity offered by having twisted pairs (at least for Cat-5e) and foil shielding (some of the more expensive Cat-5e, Cat-6).

EDIT: Parallel distance added

happy.smiler said:
Hi Guys,
I am trying to find out if there are any standards / regulations (world wide) for the distance between Electrical and Data cables and or connectors in electrical equipment.
There is some info on medical equip. and cabling in buildings but nothing on the actual equipment. Its logical to try and place them far a apart as possible, but I can't find any info on it!

Dunno what country you are in, but the first place to check would be with your local power and telecommunications authorities. I am sure it varies from country to country. You need to find out what the rules are in YOUR country :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What is the standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables?

The standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables is typically around 12 inches. This distance helps to reduce interference and ensure proper functioning of both types of connections.

2. Are there any exceptions to the standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables?

There may be exceptions to the standard distance depending on specific building codes or regulations. It is important to consult with local authorities and follow any additional guidelines or requirements.

3. Can the standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables be shortened?

No, the standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables should not be shortened as it may lead to interference and potential safety hazards.

4. Is there a maximum distance for the standard between electrical and data connections/cables?

There is no specific maximum distance stated in the standard for the distance between electrical and data connections/cables. However, it is recommended to keep the distance as short as possible for optimal performance.

5. Why is there a standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables?

The standard distance between electrical and data connections/cables is put in place to ensure proper functioning of both types of connections without interference. It also helps to maintain safety standards and prevent potential hazards.