Standard notation for "open integral"

In summary, the conversation discusses the notation for an open integral defined over an integral, where the function is denoted by "Open" and not multiplied. The person is looking for a standard way to denote this and mentions that a convolution may be related. They also clarify that their question is more general and point out a difference in the notation.
qu_bio
If I have a function defined over an integral, e.g.

## F(t') = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt \tilde{F}(t,t') ##

is there a standard way to denote this integral as being "Open", that is to say if I write

## H = F(t') G(t) ##

I want this to mean

## H = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt \tilde{F}(t,t') G(t) ##

Rather than

## H = [\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt \tilde{F}(t,t') ] * G(t) ##

I could make up some notation, but I'd rather not if one exists!

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know too much about this, but I believe a convolution is a closely related concept.

certainly said:
I don't know too much about this, but I believe a convolution is a closely related concept.
Yes I suppose it looks similar if F(t,t') -> F(t-t'), but my question is a little more general.

qu_bio said:
Yes I suppose it looks similar if F(t,t') -> F(t-t'), but my question is a little more general.
One more difference:-
##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\bar{F}(t'-t)G(t) dt=[\bar{F}\ast G](t')## not ##F(t')##.

1. What is "open integral" in standard notation?

In mathematics, an open integral is a type of integral that does not have specific limits of integration. Instead, it represents the integral of a function over an unspecified interval, typically denoted by the symbol ∫.

2. How is an open integral denoted in standard notation?

An open integral is typically denoted by the symbol ∫ followed by the integrand (the function being integrated) and then the variable of integration. For example, ∫f(x)dx represents the open integral of the function f(x) with respect to the variable x.

3. What is the difference between an open integral and a definite integral?

The main difference between an open integral and a definite integral is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an open integral does not. This means that a definite integral will have a numerical value, while an open integral will not.

4. How do you evaluate an open integral in standard notation?

To evaluate an open integral, you need to use a method called indefinite integration. This involves finding the antiderivative of the integrand and then adding a constant of integration. The result is an expression that represents the general solution to the open integral.

5. What is the purpose of using open integrals in standard notation?

Open integrals are useful for representing general solutions to problems, rather than specific numerical values. They are also used in cases where the limits of integration are unknown or variable. Additionally, open integrals are important in theoretical mathematics and are used to derive various mathematical formulas and theorems.