Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Texts on EE Subfields.

1. Dec 5, 2011 #1
    Anyone know standard texts for the following subfields that would be suitable at all for self-study?

1) Digital Signal Processing
    2) Control Systems
    3) Circuit Design
    4) Communications (Digital & Analog, Wired & Wireless)
    3) Probability & Statistics for EE.
    5) Power Systems & Machines
    6) Embedded Systems
    7) Robotics

The higher the number, the more I'd like to know of standard texts in that area. I'm interested in books from all levels, from introductory undergraduate to capstone graduate texts!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For 1) I like "Designing Digital Filters" by Charles S. Williams.

4. Dec 11, 2011 #3
    Thanks for that.

Particularly at the moment, I'm really looking for a good embedded systems book. My only digital hardware training was basic, and we went up to finite state machines at the end. But I'm beginning to think there is no general theory on embedded systems , since every book I look at tends to be a case study on one particular microprocessor, like the 8051 or the AVR, and I don't know what those mean. Is there a good book that starts would aid me in designing my own chips, building them, and programming them in C? Or is that not even how the field of embedded systems works?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. Dec 31, 2011 #4
    1) Digital Signal Processing - "Digital signal processing" by John G. Proakis, Dimitris G. Manolakis
    2) Control Systems - "Modern control engineering" and "Discrete-time control systems" by Katsuhiko Ogata
    3a) Circuit Theory - "Network Analysis" by Mac Elwyn Van Valkenburg
    3b) Circuit Design - "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth Carless Smith
    3c) Digital IC - "CMOS VLSI Design: A Circuits and Systems Perspective" by Neil H. E. Weste, David Money Harris
    3d) Analog IC - "Design of Analog CMOS Integrated Circuits" by Behzad Razavi
    4a) Digital Comm - "Digital Communications" by Simon Haykin
    4b) Analog Comm - "Modern Digital and Analog Communication Systems" by B. P. Lathi

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook