Standardization of a random variable

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of standardizing a random variable, which involves transforming it into a new random variable with zero mean and unit variance. This allows for easier interpretation and comparison of data. The first question raised is whether the original random variable must have a normal distribution, which is not always the case. The benefit of standardizing is that it allows for the use of standard normal p-values, making certain statistical tests easier. However, standardization is not always necessary and is dependent on the context and purpose of the analysis. Standardization is also important in statistical inference, particularly in relation to degrees of freedom and variance.
K41
I'm learning basic probability and have some understanding of PDF's and CDF's now. (I've not done expected values yet though so I'm not familiar with that notation).

I've come across standardization of a random variable, X, which then gives a new random variable Y with the properties that Y has zero mean and unit variance (and therefore unit standard deviation).

My first question is, does X have to have a normal distribution? I've seen this stated explicitly in some texts but not in others.
My second question is, what is the benefit of defining a new random variable instead of just using our old one? Can anyone give a clear intuitive example of when you may want to standardize data but also when you may not want to standardize data? I'm guessing it involves wanting to compare different data from different sample spaces maybe?

EDIT: Or does it involve comparing data on the same sample space but in vastly different regions of the sample space (i.e one data set involves X looking at temperatures between 0 and 5 degrees whilst another data set looks at temps between 150 and 170 degrees)?

Physics news on Phys.org
djpailo said:
My first question is, does X have to have a normal distribution?
Yes. [edit: this is wrong, see below]

djpailo said:
My second question is, what is the benefit of defining a new random variable instead of just using our old one?
The primary benefit is that you can look it's p-values up on a table of standard normal p-values. Otherwise you need a separate table for each mean and variance.

Last edited:
You can standardize any random variable, as long as it has a mean and variance (though the standardized RV will only be standard normal if the original RV was normal). The benefit of standardizing is that the units (standard deviations) become more interpretable for some applications. For example, it's difficult to compare coefficients in regression models when predictors are in different units. Standardizing them solves this problem.

Hypothesis testing (which your learn about soon) is similar, though it standardizes based on a hypothesized mean (usually zero), instead of the sample mean.

Likes K41
Standardization - particular in reference to degrees of freedom and 0 mean is used a lot in statistics.

The degrees of freedom is important because of how many statistical tests are built off this basis.

You might want to look at the general theorems in statistical inference and get a feel of the things that stay the same regardless of what is being estimated.

Some things include the Central Limit Theorem and the generalizations there-of - along with the connection these results have with respect to degrees of freedom which is an important standardization regarding that of variance and its use in general statistical inference across general estimators.

Number Nine said:
You can standardize any random variable, as long as it has a mean and variance (though the standardized RV will only be standard normal if the original RV was normal)
Oh, yes, you are correct. Then you can compare your standardized RV to a standard normal RV, etc. My previous assertion was wrong.

Likes K41

1. What is standardization of a random variable?

Standardization of a random variable is the process of transforming a random variable into a standard normal variable with a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1. This allows for easier comparison and interpretation of different distributions.

2. Why is standardization important in statistics?

Standardization is important because it allows for the comparison of different distributions that may have different scales or units. This allows for easier interpretation and analysis of data, particularly when comparing distributions with different means and standard deviations.

3. How is standardization of a random variable calculated?

The standardization of a random variable is calculated by subtracting the mean of the variable from each individual data point, and then dividing by the standard deviation of the variable. This process is also known as z-score transformation.

4. What is the purpose of standardizing a random variable to a standard normal distribution?

The purpose of standardizing a random variable to a standard normal distribution is to simplify the data and make it more interpretable. A standard normal distribution has a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1, making it easier to compare different distributions and determine the probability of certain values occurring.

5. Can any random variable be standardized to a standard normal distribution?

Yes, any random variable can be standardized to a standard normal distribution as long as it follows a bell-shaped curve. However, some variables may not need to be standardized if they already have a mean of 0 and a standard deviation of 1.