Standing Wave Question: Wavelength of Resultant Wave with Two Opposing Waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
vivekfan
Messages
34
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If a standing wave is produced by two identical waves traveling in opposite directions, is the wavelength of the resultant wave simply the wavelength of the original wave?


Homework Equations



ysin(kx)cos (wt)

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm pretty sure it produces a wavelength of the original wave because A standing wave requires that the nodes and antinodes remain in the same place, but I want to make sure. Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
sinA + sinB == 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

so a sin(kx - wt) + a sin(kx + wt) = 2a sin(kx)cos(wt)

k is 2pi/wavelength.

Any help?
 
davieddy said:
sinA + sinB == 2sin((A+B)/2)cos((A-B)/2)

so a sin(kx - wt) + a sin(kx + wt) = 2a sin(kx)cos(wt)

k is 2pi/wavelength.

Any help?

Does that mean that the standing wave has the same wavelength as the original?
 
vivekfan said:
Does that mean that the standing wave has the same wavelength as the original?

I think so.
Try drawing some pictures.