Star gazing with light pollution

In summary: I am 24 miles from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The population density is pretty high everywhere in SE Pennsylvania. I don't do much visual observing, so I can't say much about how galaxies look with your eyes through a scope, but the basic principle for photography is this: "Light pollution brightens the entire image, including the object you are imaging. So using Photoshop, you can simply subtract this extra brightness from the image. It isn't perfect, but you can do a surprising amount of good photography from near a city."
Radrook
Guess this is for those who have a clear sky overhead. As it is the glare and pollution don't let more than a few stars shine through where I'm at.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

Where is that? Because I'm near Philadelphia and though the light pollution is pretty bad, a decent telescope will cut through it.

russ_watters said:
Where is that? Because I'm near Philadelphia and though the light pollution is pretty bad, a decent telescope will cut through it.

In the Harrisburg metropolitan area. I wasn't aware that a good telescope can cut through the glare and smog. How does it do that?

Radrook said:
In the Harrisburg metropolitan area. I wasn't aware that a good telescope can cut through the glare and smog. How does it do that?

City viewing of the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn is quite good. Viewing of deep sky objects is affected by light pollution, but the size of the telescope can compensate partially. There is a(n) (untrue) myth that large telescopes shouldn't be used in the city because they gather more of the light pollution than smaller scopes. This myth is addressed on page 15 of The Urban Astronomer`s Guide by Rod Mollise,

http://books.google.ca/books?id=Z0m...&resnum=3&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false.

I'm 24 miles from dead-center in Philadelphia and the population density is pretty high everywhere in SE PA - you can see what I have been able to do from my website. How far are you from Harrisburg?

I don't do much visual observing, so I can't say much about how galaxies look with your eyes through a scope, but the basic principle for photography is this: Light pollution brightens the entire image, including the object you are imaging. So using Photoshop, you can simply subtract this extra brightness from the image. It isn't perfect, but you can do a surprising amount of good photography from near a city.

You may surprised to learn that temperature inversions over cities can provide very steady viewing for planetary targets. Some of my steadiest views of Jupiter came from my suburban back yard.

What is light pollution and how does it affect star gazing?

Light pollution is the excessive or unnecessary use of artificial light that causes a glow in the night sky, making it difficult to see stars. It affects star gazing by reducing the contrast and visibility of stars, making it harder to see fainter stars or constellations.

How can I determine the level of light pollution in my area?

There are various light pollution maps available online, such as the Light Pollution Map by Dark Site Finder, that can help you determine the level of light pollution in your area. You can also use a smartphone app, like Dark Sky Finder, to measure the brightness of the night sky in your location.

What are some tips for star gazing in areas with light pollution?

To improve your star gazing experience in areas with light pollution, you can use a telescope or binoculars to focus on specific stars or objects, or try to find a darker spot away from artificial light sources. Using a light pollution filter for your telescope can also help reduce the effects of light pollution.

How does light pollution impact wildlife and the environment?

Light pollution can have negative effects on wildlife and the environment. It disrupts the natural cycles of plants and animals, affects their behavior and migration patterns, and can even lead to a decline in certain species. It also wastes energy and contributes to air and water pollution.

What measures can be taken to reduce light pollution and preserve the night sky?

To reduce light pollution, individuals can switch to energy-efficient and shielded lighting fixtures, turn off unnecessary outdoor lights, and support local efforts to reduce light pollution. Governments and organizations can also implement regulations and policies to control and reduce light pollution.