Star Trek: Picard -- anyone seen it yet?

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi everyone! I had the opportunity to see the series premiere of Star Trek: Picard and really liked it. As a long-time fan of TNG it was a great episode re-introducing us to Picard, and can't wait until the next episode is available.

I was wondering how many of you here on PF has seen it.

Answers and Replies

scottdave
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it. I did some searching and found out it's on CBS All access streaming service. I don't know if I want to sign up for another one. I see they have a Twilight Zone which looks interesting as well though.

strangerep
Science Advisor
Interesting that Jeri Ryan will (reportedly) reprise her former role as 7-of-9.

I wonder what the outcome will be from the battle between Borg nanoprobes and the normal human aging process... :olduhh:

nsaspook
Science Advisor
Watched S1E1 on youtube (the official CBS release).

Flying humans with robotic brains.
startrek-picard-facepalm-700x341.jpg

Last edited:
DavidSnider
Gold Member
I saw it. It was... OK. I would watch another episode.

One scene that made me laugh was when the reporter asks Picard something to the effect of "Did you ever have doubts about commander data?" and he smiles and says "Never."

I guess it's true though. Even after 10 different occasions when data got hacked or influenced or went haywire and took over the ship he always keeps putting him back in command.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
Hi everyone! I had the opportunity to see the series premiere of Star Trek: Picard and really liked it. As a long-time fan of TNG it was a great episode re-introducing us to Picard, and can't wait until the next episode is available.

I was wondering how many of you here on PF has seen it.
Can't remember. I'm kind of old and senile. Let me check my calendar:

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 5.33.56 PM.png

Guessing that I have.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Watched S1E1 on youtube (the official CBS release).

Flying humans with robotic brains.

I actually really liked that early scene! (in case the face palm implies you didn't)

At any rate, Episode 2 is a little less in-your-face with the action (and a little more classic Star Trek) than the premiere episode.

nsaspook
Science Advisor
I actually really liked that early scene! (in case the face palm implies you didn't)

At any rate, Episode 2 is a little less in-your-face with the action (and a little more classic Star Trek) than the premiere episode.
I just laughed at the Wire Fu
BUT
I assume they originally wanted to capture not destroy her (the fallback plan). The Romulans were transporting in and out of the fight so why not just beam her up?

OmCheeto
Gold Member
...Wire Fu
???
Ah ha!

per Wiki; "Wire fu is used to describe ... where the stuntmen's ... skill is augmented with the use of wires and pulleys, as well as other stage techniques, usually to perform fight-scene stunts and give the illusion of super-human ability... .

Examples
The Matrix (1999)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)

I didn't know it had a name.

It took three episodes to finally reach the end-of-pilot/beginning-of-series moment

"Engage!"

Other than that, it's not horrible, so far.

Last edited:
Star Trek Picard - The search for more money :)

Seriously though, we need a new proper Star Trek series with none of the evangelical / idealist aspect, do you guys feel this is it?

nsaspook
Science Advisor
Star Trek Picard - The search for more money :)

Seriously though, we need a new proper Star Trek series with none of the evangelical / idealist aspect, do you guys feel this is it?
I don't. Star Trek has always been about evangelical idealist dealing with our current societal and political issues.
What's needed is balance and good writing that integrates those aspects into a good story.

“Let That Be Your Last Battlefield”
Let_That_Be_Your_Last_Battlefield_172.jpg

Saw all 4 episodes out so far over the weekend. It's alright so far, not just a "lets get the gang back together for more of the same."

In a way its strange that you are watching an Episode of Star Trek that is not a self contained mini 1 hour story but a proper series which flows from one episode to the next like most TV series do these days.

I do wonder where this is all going though story wise after the existing storyline comes to an end at the end of season 1.

The "pilot" is the first 3 episodes ; it took that long to get to the series-defining "as we embark on our grand mission..." scene.

I may have missed something, but the premise that there's a twin android out there - the focal point of the series - because "they make them two at a time", is pretty low quality handwavium.

On the other hand, the Borg reclamation project looks pretty cool.

And, Jeri Ryan.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Talk about a tough, picky crowd! (I'm looking at you @hmmm27 , @nsaspook !)

It just seems that so many of you on PF are saying "meh" when I thought that the episodes thus far were all great, and am excited for more!

Not "meh"; it just took 3 weeks to get to the launch point.

DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Watched the first three episodes. Meh.

The "wire fu" scene annoyed me because we lost a character that we just met. Usually this is considered bad writing. But later they introduced the cheat of the character not really being dead because she had a twin. One of Mark Twain's rules about writing is that it should be clear whether any given character is alive or dead. Sure it's sci-fi, but they disregard this rule to little use.

And, this whole "triggered" thing really annoys me. "When I grow up I'm going to have so much amnesia." It's lazy writing.

So now we have a crew. But they're all rejects or drug addicts or psychopaths or mercenaries or some crazy thing. Or secretly Romulan. Sigh. The show is going to have to work pretty hard to make me like any of them. So far I find them all pretty boring.

Still, it's better than watching the news about the latest number of COVID-19 infections.

DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Now I've watched the first five episodes. Still saying meh. Still doing most of the things I detested in the first three episodes.

But compared to what I say about most TV series... At least I'm not throwing stuff at my TV and yelling.

I'm quite liking it and looking forward to the next episode.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
Now I've watched the first five episodes. Still saying meh. Still doing most of the things I detested in the first three episodes.

But compared to what I say about most TV series... At least I'm not throwing stuff at my TV and yelling.
You seem to be an especially harsh critic. What TV shows and films have you actually liked, or even loved?

DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
You seem to be an especially harsh critic. What TV shows and films have you actually liked, or even loved?
I have occasionally liked individual episodes of TV shows. I can't think of a series where I liked every episode.

There were, for example, several episodes of Star Trek Next Gen that I could enjoy. Picard gets a "virtual reality" wife and children on a doomed alien planet, that was pretty good. Picard insists "There are... FOUR lights!" that was also a pretty good episode. There was an episode where four junior officers were chumming around, even having their own junior officers poker game. That was notable for the lesson Whorf taught one of them. In the same series there were also quite a few that were just drab. I mean, Barclay gets a flu shot, and Data's pet cat Spot turns into an iguana. Give me a break. And oh look, another holo-suite episode.

DS9 occasionally brought us an interesting episode. They did a riff on "The Man in the Glass Booth" that worked pretty well. And Whorf marrying Dax was interesting. And when Sisko kicked butt, that butt was officially kicked. But a lot of the episodes were fairly forgettable. Hey it's another wormhole-living-entities episode. Yawn.

Dr. Who used to produce a fun episode once in a while. They've choked that off pretty carefully now.

I think your describing most series, there are always good and bad episodes. Eposide 7 of Picard was abit of a let down compared to 5 & 6. Enough with the "cameo's for the sake of cameo's" already.

StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
I have occasionally liked individual episodes of TV shows. I can't think of a series where I liked every episode.

There were, for example, several episodes of Star Trek Next Gen that I could enjoy. Picard gets a "virtual reality" wife and children on a doomed alien planet, that was pretty good. Picard insists "There are... FOUR lights!" that was also a pretty good episode. There was an episode where four junior officers were chumming around, even having their own junior officers poker game. That was notable for the lesson Whorf taught one of them. In the same series there were also quite a few that were just drab. I mean, Barclay gets a flu shot, and Data's pet cat Spot turns into an iguana. Give me a break. And oh look, another holo-suite episode.

DS9 occasionally brought us an interesting episode. They did a riff on "The Man in the Glass Booth" that worked pretty well. And Whorf marrying Dax was interesting. And when Sisko kicked butt, that butt was officially kicked. But a lot of the episodes were fairly forgettable. Hey it's another wormhole-living-entities episode. Yawn.

Dr. Who used to produce a fun episode once in a while. They've choked that off pretty carefully now.
It is very rare for any TV show out there that has produced only good episodes. So if that is the expectation that you have, I feel that you are being unrealistic.

A better question would be this -- are there any TV series (past or present, science fiction or otherwise) that you would say, overall, that you've liked?

A better question would be this -- are there any TV series (past or present, science fiction or otherwise) that you would say, overall, that you've liked?
Sounds like a separate thread to me.

With the last few episodes it finally started to kick.
Feels kinda' like a Caprica reboot.