Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star Wars old cast is coming back for a new movie!

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    My gut feeling says this is a bad idea, but the star wars crazed kid in my is giggy!

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie...uniting-sequel-lucas-lets-slip-172815308.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It's a great idea!

star-wars-episode-vii-spoof.jpg

4. Mar 7, 2013 #3

trollcast

Gold Member

If they are going to try and make a new series Star Wars films would they not be better casting some really good new actors to play the roles, since after all most of the original cast aren't exactly young (also Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull has permanently biased me against him for playing such a riddiculous role in such a crap movie.)

Hope the new one has actually got some story to it (like VI, V and VI) and not a CGI fest (think III).

5. Mar 7, 2013 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

VII should be some time after VI, so there is some logic to using same actors (but older).

6. Mar 7, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

After looking at the picture in post 2, okay, let them come on for a brief cameo then let the grandchildren carry the plot! (Since Leia and Han Solo got married, I would guess that Luke and Chewbacca married and had children!)

7. Mar 7, 2013 #6
    I pretty much agree, maybe more than a brief cameo, but they should not be major characters.

8. Mar 7, 2013 #7

strangerep

Science Advisor

Ain't it depressing when you see "young and old" pictures side by side? Hamill could almost play the old emperor without needing makeup. :yuck:

(So glad no pictures of my teens/twenties have survived. :eek:)

9. Mar 8, 2013 #8

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Wow, when they say "old" cast, they ain't kidding. May the Farce not be with us.:rolleyes:

One of the funniest comments I read on another site: "Use the Walker, Luke." :rofl:

10. Mar 8, 2013 #9

rbj

oh dear. and the censors allowed this to be posted?:rolleyes:

11. Mar 9, 2013 #10

Hepth

Gold Member

Remember Mark Hamill looks a lot older due to his facial injuries when he was young.

I just wonder how they're going to avoid fan-rage if they ignore 20+ years of storyline after VI. The books are really good, and I'd hate to see them cast aside.

12. Mar 9, 2013 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From a VERY secret source, I've heard Ian McDiarmid will reappear, too! :smile:

13. Mar 9, 2013 #12
    Nice, he was a good Darth Sidious!

14. Mar 9, 2013 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That has to be a bummer for Pope Benedict. He resigned especially to play in the new movies.

15. Mar 9, 2013 #14

turbo

Gold Member

Pope Palpatine will be sobbing.

16. Mar 9, 2013 #15

Evo

At least Carrie Fisher has lost a ton of weight. Before and after the weight loss below.

carrie-fisher-435.jpg

17. Mar 9, 2013 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Palpitating at least.

18. Mar 9, 2013 #17

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Holy Jesus. The before picture looks like she'd gotten her revenge on Jabba for events in ROTJ. By swallowing him whole. :eek:

19. Mar 9, 2013 #18

Evo

It also looks like she had a facelift and a neck tuck done.

20. Mar 9, 2013 #19
    Kinda sad that this whole thing happened honestly...I swear I read a quote from george lucas a while back where he said that he never intended for Star Wars to have any story beyond the death of the emperor and the salvation of Vader. But alas, I cannot find it after searching. "That is it" is basically what he said and it sounded like he wasn't too fond of most of the expanded universe stuff (like the "Jedi Knight" videogame series which takes place after Vader's death, which I think these movies are supposed to take place during the same time as well so they might conflict with the game's stories). As of now to me it really feels like he just sold out, but we will have to wait and see about the quality of the new releases.

also, lol: http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_n...says-there-will-never-be-a-new-star-wars?lite

21. Mar 9, 2013 #20

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my opinion, Lucas already sold out when the prequels were made.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook