Stars Accelerating towards each other

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of two stars in circular orbits colliding with each other after being suddenly stopped. The solution involves determining the period of the orbits in terms of radius and using conservation of momentum and energy to find the time it takes for one star to reach the mass center of the system. However, the participants are still struggling to find a way to express distance in terms of time.
spaderdabomb

Homework Statement

Two stars move in circular orbits about one another with period T due to
their mutual gravitational attraction. If the objects are suddenly stopped, show that they
will then collide with one another after a time T /(4√2)

Homework Equations

T = ∫dt
dA/dt = (1/2)r2d∅/dt
Fg= -Gm1m2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe I've determined the period in terms of radius. Simply by substituting what dt equals into the integral and solving. You get T = 2piμr2/4l, where l is the magnitude of the angular momentum, and μ is the reduced mass.

After this I'm a little stuck. I've tried integrating the acceleration given by the force on each star, but I get stuck with the differential equation dv = -Gm1/(4r2). Maybe this is the totally wrong way to approach it. In that equation r is not a constant, therefore you can't just integrate it. If doing it this way, you'd have to replace r with a constant multiplied by something having to do with time, but I don't know what that would be.

And also, regular kinematic equations can't be used of course since this is not constant acceleration. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum gives you that the mass centre of the system does not move, so measuring distances from there allows you to concentrate on how long one star will take to reach that point.
How about cheating and using conservation of energy to avoid one level of integration?

Hmm ok...I've tried using energy and momentum and it gave me a little progress...I can only get velocity in terms of distance, or vice-versa...so I'm still having trouble getting distance in terms of time =(. Any suggestions?

spaderdabomb said:
Any suggestions?
Yes: post what you have so far :wink:

I would approach this problem by using the concept of conservation of energy. When the stars are in circular orbits, they have a certain amount of kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy. When they suddenly stop, their kinetic energy becomes zero, but their gravitational potential energy remains the same. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant.

We can use the equation for gravitational potential energy, U = -Gm1m2/r, to determine the distance between the two stars at any given time. Since the total energy remains constant, we can set the initial potential energy equal to the final potential energy and solve for the distance r.

U(initial) = U(final)
-Gm1m2/r(initial) = -Gm1m2/r(final)
r(final) = r(initial)

This tells us that the distance between the two stars remains constant after they stop moving. We can then use this distance and the equation for circular motion, v = √(GM/r), to determine the initial velocity of the stars before they stopped.

v = √(GM/r(initial))

Now, using the distance and initial velocity, we can calculate the time it takes for the stars to collide using the equation for circular motion, T = 2πr/v. This gives us the time T/(4√2) as stated in the homework statement.

In summary, by using the concept of conservation of energy, we can determine that the distance between the two stars remains constant after they stop moving. We can then use this distance and the equation for circular motion to determine the initial velocity of the stars. Finally, we can use the equation for circular motion again to calculate the time it takes for the stars to collide.

What is meant by "Stars Accelerating towards each other"?

When we say that stars are accelerating towards each other, we are referring to the movement of two or more stars in a system towards each other due to the force of gravity. This phenomenon is commonly observed in binary star systems, where two stars are orbiting around a common center of mass.

Why do stars accelerate towards each other?

The force of gravity is responsible for the acceleration of stars towards each other. This force is proportional to the mass of the stars and the distance between them. Therefore, the closer two stars are to each other, the stronger the force of gravity and the faster they will accelerate towards each other.

How does the acceleration of stars towards each other affect their motion?

The acceleration of stars towards each other causes them to orbit around a common center of mass. This results in a periodic motion, where the stars move towards each other, then away from each other, and repeat this cycle. The speed and direction of the stars' motion will depend on their masses and the distance between them.

Can the acceleration of stars towards each other change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of stars towards each other can change over time. This can happen due to the changing mass or distance between the stars, or the presence of other celestial bodies in the system. For example, if a third star enters the system, it can alter the acceleration of the original two stars towards each other.

Are there any other factors that can affect the acceleration of stars towards each other?

Besides mass and distance, the acceleration of stars towards each other can also be influenced by factors such as stellar winds, radiation pressure, and tidal forces. These external forces can affect the motion of stars in a binary system and alter their acceleration towards each other.