Start with Spivak's Calculus to Choosing the Best Resource

  • Thread starter Thread starter theoristo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Spivak
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
theoristo
Messages
151
Reaction score
3
The question is if I can start with Spivak's calculus without reading a book like calculus made easy or the calculus lifesaver?and If I can't which is better calculus made easy or the calculus life saver or another?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends. What is your mathematical background like? In other words, what books have you read and what classes have you taken?
 
dustbin said:
Depends. What is your mathematical background like? In other words, what books have you read and what classes have you taken?

Basic mathematics By Lang...
 
Yes. But it may take you a long time to read it. I was working on spivak 10 hours a day over a sumer (15-16 week college summer) and was still unable to finsih the first 24 chapters (got through about 20).

I recommend doing Spivak but give yourself as long as you need.
 
Thanks...I Don't have very much I can do about 6-8 hours a day what about first course in calculus by lang ?
 
First course in Calculus by Lang is much easier but also quite good imo.
 
If you completed all of Lang's book, you should be okay to go ahead with Spivak. Try it out and if it's too hard for you, work through an easier book.
 
in 1960 all exceptional honors freshman calculus students at harvard started with a course harder than spivak (math 11) and without any comparable textbook. the answer to your question may still be no, but if you do so, it will not be the first time someone has made this mistake.