Starting a New research Lab. Need help with this

In summary, you can find a particular solution to an equation by first solving for the coefficients of the undetermined variable, and then combining the coefficients of the two solutions.
Shandra2

Homework Statement

X" + X = 2Asin (t - 8)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really even know where to begin. I got this lab as just an assistant and it's just something they were talking about and I'm not really sure how to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have you particular solution and your general solution. The general solution is trhe solution of [tex]\ddot{x}+x=0[/tex] and I would look for a particular solution of the form:

[tex]
x_{p}=\alpha\cos (t-8)+\beta\sin (t-8)
[/tex]

The solution will be the sum of your particular and general solutions.

Shandra2 said:

Homework Statement

X" + X = 2Asin (t - 8)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really even know where to begin. I got this lab as just an assistant and it's just something they were talking about and I'm not really sure how to start.

hunt_mat said:
You have you particular solution and your general solution. The general solution is trhe solution of [tex]\ddot{x}+x=0[/tex] and I would look for a particular solution of the form:

[tex]
x_{p}=\alpha\cos (t-8)+\beta\sin (t-8)
[/tex]

The solution will be the sum of your particular and general solutions.

But that won't work. Those two functions are solutions of the homogeneous equation just like the {sin(t), cos(t)} pair. Better to try

[tex]x_{p}=\alpha t\cos (t-8)+\beta t\sin (t-8)[/tex]

Yep, you're absolutly correct. What was I thinking? Brain on automatic I suppose.

Can you explain to me how you get there? I appreciate you taking the time on something which isn't really that serious. I just want to understand this more.

Shandra2 said:
Can you explain to me how you get there? I appreciate you taking the time on something which isn't really that serious. I just want to understand this more.

You can google for undetermined coefficients. Or a more detailed explanation describing the method of annihilators is at

http://faculty.swosu.edu/michael.dougherty/DiffEqI/lecture10.pdf

Hopefully you have studied constant coefficient differential equations in the past so the reading won't be too intimidating.

1. What are the key steps to consider when starting a new research lab?

When starting a new research lab, it is important to consider the following key steps:

• Developing a research focus and plan
  • Securing funding and resources
  • Hiring and training staff and students
  • Establishing protocols and procedures
  • Building collaborations and networking

2. How do I secure funding for my new research lab?

Securing funding for a new research lab can be a challenging process. Some potential sources of funding include government grants, private foundations, and industry partnerships. It is important to carefully research and target potential funding sources that align with your research goals and interests. Networking and building collaborations can also help in securing funding opportunities.

3. What are some common challenges that come with starting a new research lab?

Starting a new research lab can be a complex and demanding process. Some common challenges that researchers may face include securing funding, recruiting and retaining talented staff and students, establishing protocols and procedures, and managing time and resources effectively. Building a strong support network and seeking mentorship from experienced researchers can help in navigating these challenges.

4. How do I create a welcoming and inclusive lab environment?

Creating a welcoming and inclusive lab environment is essential for promoting a positive and productive research culture. Some ways to achieve this include actively promoting diversity and inclusivity in hiring practices, fostering open communication and respect among lab members, and providing opportunities for professional development and mentorship. It is also important to establish clear guidelines and protocols for addressing any issues or conflicts that may arise.

5. What are some tips for managing a new research lab efficiently?

Managing a new research lab can be a challenging but rewarding experience. Some tips for efficient management include setting clear goals and expectations, delegating tasks and responsibilities, maintaining open communication with lab members, and regularly reviewing and adjusting protocols and procedures to optimize workflow. It is also important to prioritize self-care and establish a healthy work-life balance for yourself and your lab members.