1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting an Astronomy club - looking for tips?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    Hello!

As my title suggests, I (twelve years old - not an adult) am starting an astronomy club at my school. I do want to take this rather seriously, and I am interested in accumulating several members. However, my main question in this forum is: What are some good topics to discuss in an Astronomy club. In my middle/high school, there are several people who would be interested, and their ability in physics and astronomy would be highly varied. (Some people may have a small amount of knowledge in physics and astronomy, while others may be piecing together Quantum Physics).

In other words - I'm looking for topics to discuss in the class that would not be too complex for a person with little background, but not boring for someone who does know everything. The kids at my school are really smart, so they can pick up new ideas fairly fast - but I do not want the club to turn into an astronomy class. I want it to be fun/entertaining. I was thinking that we can probably discuss new discoveries in astronomy-something that would probably new to everyone in the class, but no too difficult to understand. I also planned on having several games/activities to make things even more interesting.

As for my own knowledge of astronomy - I have no idea. Most of the thing that I learned in Astronomy was self thought through reading and watching various resources. Unlike an astronomy class, where you may learn concepts in an orderly fashion, I know random information from all over the place. (I do have a strong foundation, however). I have a fairly strong foundation in mathematics (learning Calc III right now) and a decent amount of knowledge in Physics (I am taking an AP Physics class that covers a large portion of classical physics.) I am also learning special relativity on my own (not at school).

I am fairly confident that this level of knowledge is enough - but if there is more that I should know, please inform me. I highly doubt that the club will get into the details of particles under the macroscopic level (quantum physics, quantum field theory, etc.), so I think I should be fine. Also, once again, are there any tips on topics to discuss in this club?

Thank You.

P.S., I have an excellent physics teacher to help me with this club. He has
    a wide range of knowledge ranging form classical mechanics to general relativity and
    tensor calculus. So apparently, a lack of information is not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2
    We have no school clubs in Australia *sad face*, and you seem to have a decent physics teacher for a high school. You could possibly set up excursions to various optical and radio telescopes, read books and discuss, etc. I have no experience with clubs (obviously haha), I hope you create one since they sound so good ! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook