1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Salaries for Physicists/Astronomers

1. Dec 22, 2008 #1
    I am currently considering going into either Physics or Astronomy. My goal regardless of which one I finally settle on is to get my PhD. I have done some research to try and figure out the starting salaries for either field, and they seem to be similar. However, I am finding a wide variety of starting salaries ranging from $35,000 - $65,000 a year and the potential to make around $80,000 - $100,000 depending on the job and time at the job. I am wondering if someone could give me better, more accurate starting salaries. These can be broken down based off of research jobs, university jobs and government jobs. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2008 #2
  4. Dec 22, 2008 #3
    Ok, so based off of what I could find about $50,000 is the starting Salary for those with their PhDs. Another question I have is: "How common is it for those who have graduated to get a job teaching? Is it difficult to get a job that doesn't require you to teach?"

Thanks.

5. Dec 22, 2008 #4
    Take a look at those statistics I linked. You may not know, but a postdoc is typically a non-teaching position. Private industry is also non-teaching.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?