1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stat HW: Xbar and sampling infinite populations

1. Mar 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two problems:
    1) We're given a probability distribution function with possible values and their probabilities of occurring:

X=1, P = .67
    X=2, P = .19
    X=3, P = .05
    X=4, P = .04
    X=5, P = .03
    X=6, P = .02

And we need to find P(XBAR >=6) and P(XBAR >=5). I don't get this XBAR business...

2) Use Central Limit Theorem. Infinite population. 25% of the pop has the value 1, 25% 2, 25% 3, and 25% 4. What is the pop mean, pop std dev, sample mean, and sample std dev?

2. Relevant equations

1) I found that mu = E(X) = 1.69, variance = 1.494, std dev = 1.222, so mu of XBAR = 1.69 too, and std dev XBAR = stddev/(sqrt(n)) = .5

So I figure you must need to get the Z statistic for XBAR, right? That must mean

P(Xbar >=6) =

P(x=6) =

(Xbar - mu of XBAR)/(stddev of XBAR) =

6 - 1.69/.5

however, this value is too big for the Z / normal distribution table I've been given. What do I do about the Xbar crap?

Same for the XBAR >= 5, the Z value is too big...

2) The pop and sample mean are both 2.5, but shouldn't the std dev for an infinite pop be 0?

3. The attempt at a solution
    See above.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

xbar is the mean value of x (when printed, the x has a horizontal bar on top)

4. Mar 21, 2013 #3
    ^No, because the mean (as I calculated) is 1.69. That's clearly always lower than 6 or 5.

Anyone else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted