State of matter in chemical reaction

In summary, metathesis reactions are divided into 3 classes based on the driving force of the reaction. The class of metathesis reaction is determined by which of the product compounds in a double replacement pulls (so to speak) the reaction to completion. Once the driving force is identified, the remaining components/compounds of the reaction are in aqueous phase.
asadpasat
Does anybody know where I could find worksheet to practice naming the state of matter in chemical reactions (with answers in the worksheet to check) as I have problems with that. Especially deciding when it is aqueous. I know (well at least i am right) that when you have acid as reactants it has to be aqueous if you get water as product. But how do you decide for other? Is there any rule?(well, most likely is but I did not find it).
Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Your question sounds like you are struggling with double replacement reactions (i.e, metathesis reactions). AX + BY => AY + BX ... These are governed by solubility rules of ionic compounds and formation of weak electrolytes. If this sounds like what you need, let me know and I'll try to help. If not, elaborate a little more on the reaction types that are giving you problems. I don't want to overburden this reply with too much of what you don't need.

James Pelezo said:
Your question sounds like you are struggling with double replacement reactions (i.e, metathesis reactions). AX + BY => AY + BX ... These are governed by solubility rules of ionic compounds and formation of weak electrolytes. If this sounds like what you need, let me know and I'll try to help. If not, elaborate a little more on the reaction types that are giving you problems. I don't want to overburden this reply with too much of what you don't need.
This sound exactly right. So, if you know the solubility then you can determine if it's aq, right?

OK, then ... here's a little more on the subject to get you started...
1. Metathesis reactions are divided into 3 classes based on the driving force of the reaction. That is, which of the product compounds in a double replacement pulls (so to speak) the reaction to completion. These are reactions driven by formation of an insoluble precipitant, formation of a weak electrolyte or formation of a gas decomposition product. The object of the driving force is to prevent the reactions from reversing. Once the driving force is identified, the remaining components/compounds of the reaction are in aqueous phase.

2. Let's start with the precipitation reactions.
a. AX + BY => AY + BX ... AX and BY are both salts or metallic hydroxides that are considered to be 100% ionized. So, both reactants in this class of rxn are ALWAYS in aqueous phase, meaning they are 100% ionized. Now, one of the products must be the driving force (insoluble ppt (solid)) but the other will not ppt and remain in ionic form and thus be aqueous. So now the question is, how do you identify which one of the products is an insoluble precipitant? You need to learn the solubility rules of ionic salts and insoluble (or, very low solubility) hydroxides. Once you know which will ppt, tag it with (s) and all others with (aq).

b. So, what are the solubility rules that define ppt driving force compounds? Always keep in mind that you are looking on the product side of the reaction for the driving force, regardless of class. In this class, a salt or hydroxide with an extremely low solubility. Memorize the following.

Halide Salts of Mercury, Silver and Lead. All other halides are soluble and NOT driving force compounds.
Sulfate Salts of Barium, Strontium, Calcium & Lead. All other Sulfate salts are soluble and NOT driving force compounds.
Metallic Hydroxides EXCEPT for Group IA Hydroxides
Phosphate Salts EXCEPT for Group IA Phosphates
Carbonates EXCEPT for Group IA Carbonates
Sulfides EXCEPT for Group IA Sulfides

Per your initial request:
Here's an example: http://www.chemunlimited.com/Metathesis Double Replacement Rxn - Ppt Dvg Force.pdf
Here's a worksheet: http://www.chemunlimited.com/Metathesis Reactions Worksheet.pdf
Here are the worksheet answers: http://www.chemunlimited.com/Metathesis Rxns Worksheet - Answers.pdf

I'll post some more info on the second class of metathesis rxn tomorrow. Best of luck.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of state of matter in a chemical reaction?

The state of matter refers to the physical form that a substance takes, such as solid, liquid, or gas. In a chemical reaction, the state of matter can change due to the rearrangement of atoms and molecules.

2. How does the state of matter affect a chemical reaction?

The state of matter can affect the rate and outcome of a chemical reaction. For example, reactions tend to occur faster in a liquid or gas state because the molecules are more mobile and can come into contact with each other more easily.

3. Can a substance change states during a chemical reaction?

Yes, a substance can change states during a chemical reaction. For example, a solid can melt into a liquid or a liquid can vaporize into a gas during a chemical reaction.

4. How do you determine the state of matter in a chemical reaction?

The state of matter in a chemical reaction can be determined by observing the physical properties of the substances involved, such as their color, texture, and phase (solid, liquid, or gas).

5. Can the state of matter be controlled in a chemical reaction?

Yes, the state of matter can be controlled in a chemical reaction by adjusting factors such as temperature, pressure, and concentration of reactants. These can influence the state of matter and ultimately affect the outcome of the reaction.