Static Equilibrium. Man on Ladder

In summary: Fnet = 0 and Tnet = 0.In summary, the person standing on a 9.8 m ladder weighing 257 N is exerting a force on the wall, and the foot of the ladder is resting 7.056 m from the wall. The force exerted by the wall and the normal force exerted by the floor on the ladder can be calculated using equations Fnet = 0 and Tnet = 0. The equations will also help determine the direction of the torque.
jdboucher

Homework Statement

A 9.8 m ladder whose weight is 257 N is
placed against a smooth vertical wall. A
person whose weight is 464 N stands on the
ladder a distance 1.9 m up the ladder. The
foot of the ladder rests on the floor 7.056 m
from the wall.
Calculate the force exerted by the wall.
Answer in units of N.
Calculate the normal force exerted by the
floor on the ladder.
Answer in units of N.

Homework Equations

Tnet = 0
Fnet = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to pick a point of rotation. I figured I would pick the bottom of the ladder where it makes contact with the floor. That will eliminated the torque due to the friction force and the normal force between the ladder and the floor. The other forces are the weight of the ladder, weight of the man, and the friction force of the ladder and wall. I'm kind of lost now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you set up a system of equations? You should have an equation for forces in the x-direction, one for forces in the y-direction, and one for torque.

X: Fwmanx + Fwladderx = Fwall
Y: Fwmany + Fwladderx = Fn
Torque: I'm confused on how to determine clockwise or Counterclockwise Torque.

I figured it out thanks

1. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in a stationary and unchanging position.

2. How does a man on a ladder achieve static equilibrium?

A man on a ladder achieves static equilibrium by positioning himself and the ladder in such a way that the downward force of gravity is counteracted by the upward force of the ladder against the wall and the man's weight against the ladder.

3. What is the role of the center of mass in static equilibrium?

The center of mass is the point at which an object's mass is evenly distributed and does not rotate when in a state of static equilibrium. It is important in determining how forces act on an object and where to position the object to achieve balance.

4. How do external forces affect static equilibrium?

External forces can disrupt static equilibrium by introducing additional forces that can unbalance the object. For example, a strong gust of wind can cause a man on a ladder to lose his balance and fall.

5. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. Static equilibrium implies that the object is not moving or changing in its position. If an object is in motion, it is in a state of dynamic equilibrium where the forces acting on it are balanced but it is still moving.