1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics - Balancing moment and resultant force

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Replace the force system with a resultant and specify where its line of action intersects AB from point B.

so I guess the imagine didn't work....
    http://yfrog.com/htstaticspicp

I realize it is very small I apologize for that, if anything in the picture is unclear please let me know.

2. Relevant equations
    Fresultant = sum of Forces
    Moment = sum of Moments

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved the components of the X and Y forces of each of the 3 forces and got a resultant of 542N and also got the angle of inclination of this resultant, as 10.6 degrees. However, I am not getting the right answer when I sum the moments. Since it wants where this would be along AB, I set up my moment equation as 533N (the y portion of F resultant) * y = {sum of all of the moments that are acting perpendicular to the line segment AB}. However, I am not getting the correct answer? Is this the right way to go about this problem?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi lax1113! :smile:

I think you're missing that there's a resultant (linear) force and a couple (a disembodied moment).

The moment of the couple is the same about any point, and you'll need to subtract it before you can find the line of the resultant (linear) force. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook