1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics of body in two dimensions

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

5nlk3q.jpg

2. Relevant equations

A 50 lb force is applied to a corner plate as shown. Determine an equivalent system consisting of a 150 lb force at B and another force at A.

3. The attempt at a solution

There is an algebraic solution to the problem, but I was wondering if it was possible to solve this problem using a table of moments and forces?

the Fx = 25 lb and Fy = 43.3 lb.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2
    First write down what you know.

We have a force at B and a force at A with components,

Bx, By, Ax, Ay.

We know the magnitude of B is √(Bx^2 + By^2) = 150 lbs.

We are given a force F = Fx i + Fy j

You know Fx = Ax + Bx and Fy = Ay + By

And we can take moments about points A and B (and at the point where F acts) to get two (three) more equations.

Its just a lot of algebra after that?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    a table like this:

2ylwyth.jpg

if course it wouldn't be measured in kips, it would be measured in lbs.

5. Oct 13, 2011 #4
    intoo9.jpg

Let's abandon the table idea. Can someone explain to me why, in the solution to this problem, (part b) they say "Having found the direction of the forces P and P', we complete the solution..."

when as you can see in the photo, there is no indication of the direction of the force P', although P was solved for. (the solution seems to come after this sentence which confuses me). Thanks.

2qv6uzm.jpg

this is the missing information. Please help; there are no tutors available for this course, the teacher isn't available, and its getting extremely hard to find help.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook