Statics question (is this possible?)

• Thread starter goonking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, the conversation discussed the stability of a frame on a slope and how it would remain stationary if unpinned at point A. There was also a question about the purpose of attachments which was later clarified as being added by mistake. The potential impact of the frame's weight on its stability was also mentioned. Overall, the conversation concluded with a suggestion to move on to the next exercise.
goonking

Homework Statement

upload_2016-3-9_3-26-45.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

for part b, where the angle is 45 degrees.

upload_2016-3-9_3-26-59.png

would this mean that if you unpin the frame at point A, it would stay completely stationary (assuming the frame is massless)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes (frame weightless ?)

What's the attachment for ?

Likes goonking
BvU said:
Yes (frame weightless ?)

What's the attachment for ?
Whoops, attachments were added by mistake.

But very interesting to know that it would be stationary. Very hard to imagine it because it is impractical.

Impractical in the sense that it isn't a stable equilibrium, but yes: a normal force ##20\;{1\over 2} \sqrt2## at E balances the load forces.

Again, the frame weight should be zero or else the weight will make it go downhill mucho quicko !

BvU said:
Impractical in the sense that it isn't a stable equilibrium, but yes: a normal force ##20\;{1\over 2} \sqrt2## at E balances the load forces.

Again, the frame weight should be zero or else the weight will make it go downhill mucho quicko !
Yes, I spent a good minute wondering how the frame would stay stationary on a roller, on a slope because the question didn't mention the frame was massless.

As long as they don 't mention the frame mass you should be OK. Witness the book solution (or is it yours?).

BvU said:
As long as they don 't mention the frame mass you should be OK. Witness the book solution (or is it yours?).
I posted the textbook solution.

:smile: I kind of knew that. The (my) humour is in the sleek way you evade the PF rule that an attempt at solution is required. Never mind. You have a very sensible question about a not so sensible exercise. Time to move on to the next one !

BvU said:
:smile: I kind of knew that. The (my) humour is in the sleek way you evade the PF rule that an attempt at solution is required. Never mind. You have a very sensible question about a not so sensible exercise. Time to move on to the next one !
haha, yeah, sorry, I should have posted my attempt but figured the textbook solution was much easier to read and my question was conceptual instead of asking if I had the right answer.

All understood, clear and fine. Time to move on to the next exercise !

1. Is it possible for an object to be in static equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible for an object to be in static equilibrium if the sum of all the forces acting on the object is equal to zero and the sum of all the torques acting on the object is also equal to zero.

2. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is moving?

No, an object cannot be in static equilibrium if it is moving. Static equilibrium means the object is at rest and not experiencing any acceleration.

3. What factors affect the stability of an object in static equilibrium?

The factors that affect the stability of an object in static equilibrium include the center of gravity, the base of support, and the distribution of the object's weight.

4. Can an object be in static equilibrium if it is on an inclined plane?

Yes, an object can be in static equilibrium on an inclined plane if the component of its weight perpendicular to the plane is balanced by an equal and opposite force from the plane.

5. What are some real-life examples of objects in static equilibrium?

Examples of objects in static equilibrium include a book sitting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a bridge supporting the weight of cars and pedestrians.