Statics Question (Using Modulus of Rigidity)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the displacement in the horizontal direction of point A due to a force, P, and the use of different G values for different layers. The equations and methods used to solve for the displacement are also discussed, but there is uncertainty about the accuracy of the answer. The conversation concludes with a question about the correct value for the height, h, in the equation.
papasmurf

Homework Statement

Find the displacement (mm) in the horizontal direction of point A due to the force, P. P=100kN w1=19mm w2=15mm

Homework Equations

[itex]\tau[/itex] = G * [itex]\gamma[/itex]
[itex]\tau[/itex] = Shear stress = P / A
[itex]\gamma[/itex] = Shear strain = (pi / 2) - [itex]\alpha[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't attempted to work out a solution here yet, but I do have a question regarding the separate G values that are given.

Can I just look at the top layer, the layer where P is acting, and use that G value to determine [itex]\delta[/itex]? Or do I need to do something with the other G value as well?

If I were to try something, I would find tau by doing 100[kN] / (100[mm] * 2[mm]). So tau would be equal to 1[kN]/2[mm2] = 0.5[GPa]. Next I would find gamma by dividing tau by G (100[GPa]) giving me [itex]\gamma[/itex] = .005rad. I can use trig to define gamme as [itex]\gamma[/itex]=sin-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/40). Setting this equal to .005 I would get [itex]\delta[/itex]= .20[mm].

Even if I do have to do something with both of the G values, I feel like my method is correct. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• HW2_prob1_fig.jpg
    HW2_prob1_fig.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi papasmurf

Last edited:
If delta at A is relative to the fixed base, then all the shear displacements of the various layers must be taken into account.

Am I correct in assuming the shear force will be the same at all the various layers?

Hi Dr.PSMokashi

I'm getting closer to the correct answer. First I set V/A, where V is the internal shear force and A is the area of the cross section where the shear force is acting, equal to G*[itex]\gamma[/itex], where G is the modulus of rigidity and gamma is the shear strain.
I rewrote gamma as pi/2 - θ, where θ=cos-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/h), h is the height of the "layer", and put it all together so that my equation looks like this:

V/A = G * ( pi/2 - cos-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/h) )

Solving for [itex]\delta[/itex] I come up with
[itex]\delta[/itex] = h * cos( (pi/2) - V/AG)

I used this formula for each "layer" and added up all of the deltas.

However after plugging my numbers in and making sure of correct units, I still am off by fractions of a millimeter.

Last edited:
Also, should the h value be the height of the layer only or should it go from the base to the top of the layer I am looking at? For example if I am looking at the first layer where G=0.1MPa, would my h be simply w2 [mm] or would it be w2+2 [mm]?

I keep getting an answer that is off by fractions of a millimeter. I can not figure out what I am doing/not doing that keeps giving me a wrong answer.

How do you know that "an answer that is off by fractions of a millimeter" is "a wrong answer"?

1. What is the modulus of rigidity?

The modulus of rigidity, also known as shear modulus, is a measure of a material's resistance to shearing forces. It determines the amount of deformation a material will experience when subjected to a shearing stress.

2. How is the modulus of rigidity calculated?

The modulus of rigidity is calculated by dividing the shear stress by the shear strain in a linear elastic material. It is represented by the symbol G and has the unit of force per unit area (such as N/m^2 or Pa).

3. What is the significance of modulus of rigidity in statics?

The modulus of rigidity is an important property in statics as it helps determine the stiffness of a material. It is also used to calculate the shear stress and deformation in structures subjected to shearing forces.

4. How does the modulus of rigidity differ from the modulus of elasticity?

The modulus of rigidity measures the resistance to shearing forces, while the modulus of elasticity measures the resistance to tensile or compressive forces. The modulus of rigidity is typically smaller than the modulus of elasticity for a given material.

5. What factors affect the modulus of rigidity?

The modulus of rigidity is affected by the type of material, its microstructure, and temperature. Generally, materials with stronger intermolecular or interatomic bonds have higher values of modulus of rigidity.