1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics Question (Using Modulus of Rigidity)

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the displacement (mm) in the horizontal direction of point A due to the force, P. P=100kN w1=19mm w2=15mm

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\tau[/itex] = G * [itex]\gamma[/itex]
    [itex]\tau[/itex] = Shear stress = P / A
    [itex]\gamma[/itex] = Shear strain = (pi / 2) - [itex]\alpha[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't attempted to work out a solution here yet, but I do have a question regarding the separate G values that are given.

Can I just look at the top layer, the layer where P is acting, and use that G value to determine [itex]\delta[/itex]? Or do I need to do something with the other G value as well?

If I were to try something, I would find tau by doing 100[kN] / (100[mm] * 2[mm]). So tau would be equal to 1[kN]/2[mm2] = 0.5[GPa]. Next I would find gamma by dividing tau by G (100[GPa]) giving me [itex]\gamma[/itex] = .005rad. I can use trig to define gamme as [itex]\gamma[/itex]=sin-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/40). Setting this equal to .005 I would get [itex]\delta[/itex]= .20[mm].

Even if I do have to do something with both of the G values, I feel like my method is correct. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Hi papasmurf

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. Jan 18, 2012 #3
    If delta at A is relative to the fixed base, then all the shear displacements of the various layers must be taken into account.

5. Jan 18, 2012 #4
    Am I correct in assuming the shear force will be the same at all the various layers?

6. Jan 18, 2012 #5
    Hi Dr.PSMokashi

7. Jan 18, 2012 #6
    I'm getting closer to the correct answer. First I set V/A, where V is the internal shear force and A is the area of the cross section where the shear force is acting, equal to G*[itex]\gamma[/itex], where G is the modulus of rigidity and gamma is the shear strain.
    I rewrote gamma as pi/2 - θ, where θ=cos-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/h), h is the height of the "layer", and put it all together so that my equation looks like this:

V/A = G * ( pi/2 - cos-1([itex]\delta[/itex]/h) )

Solving for [itex]\delta[/itex] I come up with
    [itex]\delta[/itex] = h * cos( (pi/2) - V/AG)

I used this formula for each "layer" and added up all of the deltas.

However after plugging my numbers in and making sure of correct units, I still am off by fractions of a millimeter.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  8. Jan 18, 2012 #7
    Also, should the h value be the height of the layer only or should it go from the base to the top of the layer I am looking at? For example if I am looking at the first layer where G=0.1MPa, would my h be simply w2 [mm] or would it be w2+2 [mm]?

9. Jan 18, 2012 #8
    I keep getting an answer that is off by fractions of a millimeter. I can not figure out what I am doing/not doing that keeps giving me a wrong answer.

10. Jan 21, 2012 #9
    How do you know that "an answer that is off by fractions of a millimeter" is "a wrong answer"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?