Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary Points of an implicitly defined function?

1. Mar 8, 2007 #1
    Hi
    i just got a short question about definition if i got an implicitly defined function g(x,y,z) = 0 and then be asked whether g hast stationary points.
    How to answer that intuitively i´d say no g = 0 = constant hence no stationary points but if i do grad(g) = ( 0,0,0) i get stationary points.
    So what´s the answer for this ?
    And if it´s the grad(g) thing how to interpret that kind of stationary point geometricaly.
    Thanks and bye :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what you're doing here. [tex]\nabla g=\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\bold{i}+\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\bold{j}+\frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\bold{k}[/tex]. But this is identically zero, if g=0 (unless I'm missing something obvious).

4. Mar 8, 2007 #3
    He is seeing a contradiction between 2 statements:
    if grad(g) = ( 0,0,0) then there is stationary points
    and if g(x,y,z) = 0 then there is no stationary points.
    since g(x,y,z) = 0 then grad(g) = ( 0,0,0)
    I think that what he means.

5. Mar 8, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If it is a surface defined by g(x,y,z)=0 (a level surface), there is no need that grad(g)=0. What would be zero is grad(g).t for t a tangent vector to the surface.

6. Mar 8, 2007 #5
    quick example:
    g(x,y,z)=x+y-z
    g(x,y,z)=0
    grad(g)=i+j-k

7. Mar 8, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And the surface g(x,y,z)=0 would be the plane z=(x+y).

8. Mar 8, 2007 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, I thought I was missing something. I don't quite know what I was doing in my last post!

9. Mar 8, 2007 #8
    yea that´s exactly what i meant. How is that puzzle solved ? :)

10. Mar 8, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look at ziad1985's example. g(x,y,z)=0 in implicit function definition is not meant to mean g is zero everywhere.

11. Mar 8, 2007 #10
    yea that´s what i understand in a sense it defines a z(x,y) or x(z,y) and so on so when i ask what stationary points does g have i mean what stationary points does z(x,y) have ?

12. Mar 8, 2007 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want stationary points of z(x,y), then find an expression for z(x,y), take partial derivatives wrt x and y and set them both equal to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?